Gibson Brands Forums

Practice/Recording Room Recommendations

Silenced Fred

So I have the room, and I have some equipment, but what can I do to help acoustics and dampen the sound that will leave the room?

I am living at home for at least another year while going to local Community college to get gen eds out of the way, figure out life, etc. and I want a nice practice/ recording area. What kind of stuff should I be looking for? On a budget would be nice, but if there are some things I need to spring for, let me know.

Thanks

I'm don't know too much about soundproofing, so as to the cost and materials don't ask me. But sound proofing will stop unwanted noise's from entering the room and also the sound you make, so you can really crank up your tubes to get that good sound without disturbing others. Also, I believe there are sound absorbing materials which will stop you sound from bouncing around and creating echo's and dead spots.

Also, get a fairly good amount of quality microphones, and use them all while recording, have them in different spots and play around with the mixer.

My rhythm guitarist in my band just got a pretty nice 2 room apartment, he's got this closet that's pretty damn big (I'd say about 10x10). I keep telling him to take his girlfriends **** out of there, soundproof it, and turn it into a recording room, but he wont. I think he's whipped.

Oh, and also. After you get the room you want, have other people you know help with the cost of all the equipment and such. Building a quality recording room requires quite alot of money, see if you can have people leave their **** at your house in exchange for recording time. This band I know built a pretty nice recording room in their house, they actually started a little business to help them pay for all the equipment over time

Archived