Gibson Brands Forums

Noobie here new to Gibson--CJ-165 owner

6 string mystix

Hi,

Been lurking for a bit---even before I bought my CJ-165 RW and thought I would introduce myself.

Love the site and appreciate all the knowledge that i have gained here.

Just wanted to kinda wanted to tell my little story of how I came to be a Gibson owner---after years and years of Martin and/or other brands. Hope no-one minds if I should ramble a bit.

I have owned many Martins and had never really been into gibsons---oh sure I always loved those Elvis clips and admired the SJ and the J-45 in particular--but I always ended up going back to Martin. I also had a couple of Guild Jumbos and loved those as well.

Lately I had been gravitating towards finally moving up the chain and getting a collings/bourgeois/huss & dalton---level guitar and was nearing in on a final decision when a Martin J-40 caught my ear and appeared to do everything that the other would --but for a lower price. It appeared to be the final choice.

I sold my Martin D-35 Sunburst---which was one of those special guitars that you hear about----the one that when you pick it up after playing tons of guitars---just speaks to you---and i bought it on the spot after a long process. I had played that D-35 for going on 3 years when I went through another process---buying a house---and , regrettably ended up having to sell a lot of stuff to get the house which had become a priority for the wifey and I---as i am sure most of you understand.

Back to selling the D-35 which was painful; I sold it and got the house and a few months later---I was back and ready for my dream acoustic (kept my Don Grosh RC electric though).

I had been researching throughout this whole time and (again---gone through the boutiques---and back to the Martin J-40)

had again---decided it was going to be the j-40---mind you I had been pretty anal about this and completely shocked myself by what happened next....

After all of that---I found a Gibson CJ-165 on the Buffalo Bros site in San Diego,Ca...and I had bought my Don Grosh there---and they have the famous trade in policy---where you get back in trade whatever you paid for it---to trade up on a new (or used) guitar.

Now, I had done a little research and had come across the cj-165 and had not really considered it----but I don't know what---something just made me inquire.

Long story--longer....I ended up trading the Grosh for the cj-165----AND THEY DIDN'T EVEN HAVE A PHOTO POSTED.

Sight unseen...just like that---all I had to go on was the salesman telling me it was a 2007, sunburst and appeared new and unplayed---a customer had traded it in to get a collings or santa cruz---or something.

I jumped on it....waited nervously and felt like an idiot for being impulsive and ----after being so anal---just jumping on something----on nothing but a GUT FEELING...

Boy I felt stupid....

this was in December....it was cold as hell...and the guitar arrived on a day that was ---in the 20's---I live in Texas...

I pulled the CJ out---(after waiting about six hours---hopefully to let the guitar acclimate)---could not wait any longer...and there she was....beautiful to look at ---beautiful smell....but

I played her and after ten minutes....I was crushed....

I did not like the sound....I had never played a short scale...I had made a mistake....

or so i thought....

For the next couple of days I went from playing it sporadically to looking up other guitars on the internet....to scanning want ads...to playing it again....etc...i did not even want to tell the wife i had made a bad choice...a mistake....

On the third day I picked it up in the morning....had some coffee and started playing....then...

She spoke to me...I turned my head like a dog does when you whistle at it....and i thought...what the hay????...

played some more...wow...she sounded beautiful...fingerpicked----gorgeous...

flatpicked---gorgeous....

I was ...like...what happened?

after a couple of hours---I had to put it down----ONLY because my fingers hurt----

she needed a set-up....

took it to my luthier who has always done fantastic work....he did his magic---set it up for a light to medium touch---or in other words---set it up perfectly---to my playing style....

he said when I picked it up....you know...that's a funny little guitar...i had never heard of it...it is quite funny...it is small---but the body is wide---not like an OM...it is shaped like a Gibson Jumbo---but it is not a jumbo size....it is .....funny...but I could not stop playing it....the notes are round---but sparkly...the strumming is tight and it gets loud if you dig in a little...i really like it a lot....

Since then I have played more acoustic than any time in my life and ----I am NEVER ---EVER---NOT blown away by this little guitar...it always hits me in a new and different way---just keeps surprising me over and over again...

I have the Rosewood model---non-cutaway model--the sunburst is only painted sunburst on the top---back and sides are AAA rosewood in natural...

Songs have come out like you wouldn't believe...maybe the old thing about a guitar---sometimes having songs to give at a certain time---or maybe i am just so in love with playing it that I just feel inspired enough to write new songs...

but one thing is for sure---she is going nowhere.

Final note (apologies----if you have read this far---i really appreciate your indulgence)

I just restrung it with John Pearse Phosphor Bronze and Silk Wound 12-53 ga. ---and WOW---I love the tone...

I just wanted to try the silk---thing to see if it was anything different---and i am blown away...

Thanks again and hope I didn't bore anyone...

Tino

Austin,tx.

Great story--we do love to talk(and hear) about those 'and then -- what the hay?' moments.

I believe that when you get what the Gibson sound is all about, your relationship to acoustic guitars changes. Forever.

Welcome!

funny, on the times when i did try to play a gibson...it was usually in a guitar center type of place---where the guitars can be hit or miss---the set-up is usually off--

and I had played a few and the only one that i REALLY liked--was a songwriter deluxe I tried in the Hollywood Guitar Center---where i used to live until 2005...

but all the other Gibsons i had tried, although some were good---I had always gone back to Martin---because i would stumble on a martin that would blow me away....

but this CJ has really endeared itself to me...

yeah, now I get it....

Archived