Gibson Brands Forums

New J-45

KL

I went past a guitar store today . . . . so I went in. The only Gibson acoustic they had was a new J-45 standard, so I had to try it out. It was a nice sounding J-45 with plenty of bottom end. There were a few features I didn't know they had changed on J-45's. First of all those big ugly Grover tuners really seemed to add a lot of weight to the neck. The inlaid headstock logo was nice, but it's always been a gold decal in the past. I liked the inlay. It had a factory L R Baggs pickup. I didn't plug it in, but the soundhole volume control was glued just under the top, and it would have to be moved if you were using a feedback buster.

Overall it had great tone for a new guitar and looked great, except I didn't like the big heavy tuners (which made it feel unbalanced in weight as well as appearance to me) and being picky I didn't really like the black nut, but that really is a minor thing.

Yeah' date=' those Grovers are great tuners, but too bulky for a Gibson acoustic headstock. I much prefer the open-gear machines they put on Custom Shop guitars. I'll get those things off my J-200 someday.[/quote']

Yeah . . . how about a nice set of nickel Waverlies for your J-200?

Archived