Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson DSM - songmaker specs? whats your verdict?

rossnuk

Hi - just played a Gibson DSM tonight. Mahogany back and sides.

Really liked it - sounded similar to a hummingbird I thought and very nice price as well.

But the guy told me he wasnt sure what the nut and saddle was. It looked like a tusq saddle but i am not sure.

Any ideas - its definitely solid woods - ebony fretboard and bridge.

Sounded nice - Gibson tone - slightly bright but still well balanced and quite loud as well.

May have to buy this.

Ross

i was talking to my luthier about saddles recently and the difference between tusq and bone. he told me that the reason that a lot of guitar companies use tusq is, because it is synthetic, the density is equal throughout giving the correct intonation and sound to the pickup underneath. although bone sounds nice, the density can be sporadic making it a harder fit. depending on if you're playing more acoustically or plugged in, that's where the owner's preference comes in. I'm pretty sure my Hummingbird Pro is tusq though to be honest, that really didn't affect my decision one bit. It sounds brilliant with tusq and if I really want to install a bone saddle later, then it can only sound better.

I say get it if you like it and have the cash. I hope that helps.

They are really discounting the ones they have left at our local store.....they are tempting...I don't think they have the same sound as the American made ones....fit and finish are very good, in some cases BETTER than the Bozeman made ones, but don't have the same sound....or at least the ones I played don't....

Archived