Gibson Brands Forums

Installing an Under Saddle Pickup

Andre S

Oh . . . ok . . . can you use Amazon? If so you could buy a book like Guitar Repai Player Guide (maybe some others here can suggest others) that gives instructions on how to install an undersaddle yourself.

Also choose the transducer carefully as some require the use of special tools which you may not have. For example. I have a Headway transducer in my D-28 and installation of that one requires a small amount of accurate routing under the saddle. The reason being that some transducers have a flat filament (which may be the way to go if you're doing it for the first time) and others (like the Headway) have a filament with a D shaped profile. The semicircular side of the filament is mounted towards the guitar and the slot needs to be routed out into an accurate semicircle to accept the filament. Headway can supply a special tool to do this (not expensive). The route needs to be accurate so that there is uniform contact of the filament with the guitar bridge. Otherwise you will get irregularities in the sound quality pickup across all the strings. Also if the filament does have a D shaped profile and you mount it upside down then you do not get good contact with the saddle (as the saddle will be resting on a curved surface rather than a flat one).

I hope this helps.

Definitely. I'll check out the book.

I have installed the Fishman Infinity pickup in 3 of my guitars. It's not that difficult and no soldering is necessary. I love the sound of it. I take apart and repair all kinds of stuff that a lot more sensitive than a guitar, so it was no big deal for me. I remember about 10 years ago I took my guitar to the local shop to have a strap button installed. They told me to leave it and it would be done in a few days. No thanks, that started me doing my own work. Good luck.

Fred

Another thing you can do is get an old beater guitar from a junk shop and practise repairs on it. So for example if you're going to do any drilling etc practise on the beater first, so that when you come to do the actual job on your prized possession you are not doing it for the first time.

Archived