Gibson Brands Forums

New to me 1957 J45

Soundwarrior

The Virtusoso is working wonders. Stuff is just coming off this guitar. I wouldn't be suprised if I had to buy another bottle. Do you guy think that if this stuff got on some of the nicks that are open that it would affect anything? I don't really see how it would as long as wiped it right off but let me know what you think

Soundwarrior,

If I were you, I'd take that vintage J-45 to a luthier/professional repair person for an inspection and recommendation on how to clean/care for it. If you're thinking about selling, you should get an independent, knowledgeable person to give you an appraisal on the value of the guitar.

All the best,

Guth

SW-

Please don't bail on that '57 just yet; I was in the same situation with a vintage guitar, w/a musty, maybe smoky smell, detectable if you got close to the soundhole. And I was also thinking of the cedar or spruce chips. I happen to like the mellow sound of old strings, esp. on an old guitar, so when I changed out the very old strings, I left the guitar on the stand for the strings to age and for me to play it more... for like 3 weeks.

Result; smell gone. No further action required. Be patient & give it a shot. Warning: you'll also be tempted to pick the guitar up a lot more, too.

Good luck.

I just returned the new J45 today and decided to keep the 57 it just felt and sounded better to me. Since I cleaned it is not really bad. The original owner was a smoker but since she passed away its been about 24years or so since a smoker owned it. The soundhole acutally does not smell like smoke to me. The body did. The places that I cleaned it up are smelling pretty good not bad at all. I really don't think it been cleaned for a while if ever. I going to get a new case for it and I have the klusons coming in since it does not have original tuners . I am contact with a real good luthier I may meet up with him Saturday. Its one of the best sounding acoustic I have played truthfully. I don't want to have that feeling like I have with the 1958 Les Paul reissue I traded. It was one good sounding Les Paul wish I still had it.

Archived