Gibson Brands Forums

Inside Job!!! - $258.5 Million lottery winner

NeoConMan

Wont' be the first time a cashier 'short changed' a customer. Wont' be the last. This is why stores with cameras always - always have a camera on the cashier and his / her drawer.

The gas and smokes shop where I worked had 7 cameras. 5 were dummies, the 2 was operational. The ones which were real were trained on the back store room and safe the other one which worked was trained on the cash drawer and cashier. Most retail theft is perpetrated by employees. That's a fact.

Self service winner / loser checker is the best way to handle this. A 19" monitor is over kill.

Self service lottery machines on the sales floor is even better. Takes the cashier out of it entirely.

I saw a news story on TV a couple years ago, about a convenience store robbery.

Bad guy decides to grab the ENTIRE plastic dispenser cabinet containing rolls of scratch-off tickets.

Ran out the door with the whole damned Lexan box.

All caught on camera.

They got a clear shot of the guy's face, but didn't have to chase him.

The Lottery HQ simply went "clickety click" on their little computer and all the tickets were immediately invalidated.

I guess the guy had a scratching party and went to another store with some of his winners.

Got PISSED when the clerk scanned them and was instructed not to pay out by his display.

Cops nabbed him - no sweat.

Archived