Gibson Brands Forums

Another Gibson I've never seen before....J-45 1962 40th anniversary special???

onewilyfool

• 2 weeks later...

OWF...

I finally had a Sunday with no Softball, Baseball, Soccer or Mothers' Day commitments, so my son and I took the ride up to Lark Street..

I spent about an hour or so playing Red and a 1960 Tobacco burst--http://www.larkstreetmusic.com/list/pict/1960J-45more.jpg. Both were comfortable and easy to play (believe me easy to play is CRITICAL in my case).

As for tone Red was very "bright" (subjective opinion compared to "mellow" for the 1960) and crystal clear.

I like "mellow". I don't know if that description means anything to anyone but me, sorry.

I asked for some details on the guitar and got a shoulder shrug and, it's a 2004 j45 with "a spruce top, rosewood side/back, a paint job and a white pick guard". He didn't know about the previous owner (or owners).

And for KL.. They'll ship to the UK..

OWF...

I asked for some details on the guitar and got a shoulder shrug and' date=' it's a 2004 j45 with "a spruce top, rosewood side/back, a paint job and a white pick guard". He didn't know about the previous owner (or owners).

And for KL.. They'll ship to the UK..

[/quote']

Thanks. Are you sure it was rosewood Steve? I was certain they had mahogany back and sides.

Thanks. Are you sure it was rosewood Steve? I was certain they had mahogany back and sides.

No, I'm not. I searched around while this thread was new and saw a 2007 version with mahogany sides and back.

Unfortunately.. It's hard to get the New Jersey "shrug of the shoulders" inflection into type.

The setting....

Owner busy on the phone and negotiating a sale with an instore customer as well, fixit guy in the back working on a banjo, the guy I spoke to was pretty busy with 3 or 4 other people..

Coversation went sort of like this..

Me: "Can you give me some details on the guitar?"

Him: "Yeah, it's the same as a 2004 J45 with a paint job and a white pick guard".

Me: "Rosewood and Spruce?" (Should have tried dogwood and *****willow)

Him: "Yeah Yeah.. Same as a 2004 J45.......Sure"

I would have stayed longer, to see if things quieted down a bit and give the questions another chance (and played a couple of other guitars) but I had some errands to get done before shops started closing.

Note: This same guy spent about 30 minutes with my son when we first got there helping him "pull down" a couple of Teles he wanted to try and discuss why this guitar was "changed" http://www.larkstreetmusic.com/list/pict/es-355.jpg. My guess is he was just busy.

Hmmmmm. Maybe I should just go back up there..

I'm sure if you emailed the Lark Street they'd do the research and give the correct answers.

Archived