Gibson Brands Forums

The Marty Stuart Show....

Murph

On RFD.

CUT IT OUT.......

[biggrin]

He is bad to the bone on that mandolin, and plays Clarence Whites old Tele just about every show. Clarence played with Scotty Stoneman (who used to own my old mandolin that Chris Thile signed) on the "Live In L.A." album.

I've also read that Marty played with Scotty very briefly when he was quite young, but haven't talked to Marty about this yet.

Anyhow, it's good stuff, but the show is too short......

Years ago, my buddy Prune Johnson and I decided to pack up a pup tent and drive down to Nashville for a couple of days just for the heck of it. We were two teens with no itinerary, no clue and almost no money. When we got into town, we drove by the Ryman and saw that they were having a bluegrass show that day with a bunch of different acts, so we parked the car, bought tickets and went inside.

One of the acts was Lester Flatt & the Nashville Grass. After one particularly hot mandolin solo by a player who looked quite young, Lester introduced the kid as his 15-year-old mando player and even though it was ages ago, I still remember the name -- Marty Stuart.

The guy is the Real Deal.

Roland White (who played mandolin with the Ky Colonals in 1965 with Scotty and Clarence) quit Lester in 1973 to join up with his brother, the afore mentioned Clarence White, and Marty became Lesters mandolin player. He stayed with Lester until Christmas of 1978, just a few months before his death.

Your trip would have been around 1975.

Cool story.

Stuart was born in '58, so he would've been 15 in '73 or so. I graduated high school in '73, and now that I think about it, that's the summer we went to Nashville. That summer, I worked weekends at the radio station in my hometown ("WKZI, Clear Channel 800") and I remember on the drive down to Nashville I was surprised how far the station's daytime signal carried. I remember thinking, "Jeez, people clear down here can hear me." Not that they ever tuned in, mind you. But they could've.

Stuart was born in '58

You are correct' date=' sir. I was reading footnotes from the CD "Marty Stuart, Once Upon A Time" and they obviously say he was 12 in 1972, leading me to believe he was born in 1960.

I believe the rest of the information is dead on though.

I don't know why Marty would have let false information about his age be printed on one of his CD's.....

[lol

Archived