Gibson Brands Forums

Which Guitar?

Dom_JEM

In the mid 80s Guild came out with a Tele style guitar with typical 80s pointy headstock. I think they made a T-200 and T-250 but there could have been others. I don't know what the difference was; they were similar. It was also known as the Roy Buchanan model. Roy wasn't very happy with the situation but I don't know if it was so much a reflection on the guitar or the deal with Guild. Roy was known to put electricial tape over the logo.

Shortly after that he and Guild parted company. Again, I don't know the details but he began using another Tele style guitar made by someone in Georgia or Alabama... Fritz Brothers or Bluesmaster or something. It had a bound sunburst Tele body with EMG pickups.

The Guilds show up on ebay once in a while

I wonder what would've happened if Ronnie Hawkins had gone ahead and hired Roy instead of Robbie Robertson?

They were both after the lead guitarist job in the Hawks at the same time...Roy playing Forest Hills with Bob Dylan might have been interesting.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

I can't recall exactly, but it looks like one that wasn't a Guild that I recall, but was special-made for Roy by somebody else. He was asked on one of the vids available on Youtube what it was... gave a really evasive answer.

m

Archived