Gibson Brands Forums

Hill muisic at it's best

jaxson50

Interesting...

I'll admit that on one trip through that area I felt somewhat more as if I were in a foreign country, though, than in similar-appearing areas of Korea...

But the music... Ah, the music in Kentucky...

m

I love the music, mountain music as the locals call it, is haunting and beautiful and has given us so many artist unique to American culture. Still easily traced to it's Irish and Scottish root's. I think of it as a form of blues really, just as filled with the story of human suffering and hard living as the stories of the people from the Delta's or the Piedmonts and interestingly connected by the instruments employed by the story tellers...

I have to agree....

... and yet...

There's something metaphorical about "cowboy" songs that really appeals to me, both the old and the newer material.

Don't get me wrong, I love the old mountain Scots-Irish flavored pre-bluegrass material that still flavors some "country" music. There's a poetry there as well and not just because there is rhyme in the lines.

But if you listen to "old double diamond" and don't hear a metaphor we might all identify with... you hear nothing.

m

Nice stuff Milrod., the same people, they just went west! I live right on the old Oregon Trail, I have walked in the rut's, it is a strange feeling knowing my great grand dad brought the family to Oregon on that trail a 130 years ago.

Hill music, western music, blues, as Satchmo said, "all music is folk music" because all music is the story of the people who write it. It so interesting to me, how as people came to the New World and continued to move west their experience's changed music, was shaped by the influence of African Americans and by the blending of American and Mexican culture from Texas to California to give us all the different regional takes on music, western, western swing blur the lines of blues of big band and rock was the offspring.

That is haunting!

Thank you so much for sharing.

Always respected bluegrass and country as one respects one's elders' date=' but never do spend enough time with 'em...[/quote']

Here's one for you Izzy!

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

And now you know!

yeah...

My great grandpa headed west from Vermont where his people had lived already for around 150 years and joined the Army in Illinois - kinda getting short-stopped you might say.

After the war he headed west again. He was a musician during the war, among other duties.

But I think the New England music experience was a lot different and more along the English sort of tradition. OTOH, after being in New England for so long - it appears since roughly 1690 - I think there wasn't much "folk tradition" left.

m

Archived