Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Super V

ericviolier

The Super V had a combination of features from the L-5 and Super 400. It was basically an L-5 body with a Super 400 neck. The other "standard" difference was the "fingers" tailpiece. It seems to have been made with a variety of pickup setups, from the standard two humbuckers mounted to the top, to a pickguard mounted "floating" pickup.

I agree with Robin, although I have no documentation, that the Super V came along much later than '63. Gibson has experimented with a few modified L-5 based guitars through the years such as the Citation, Johnny Smith, Super V, Super 5000, and others, plus the more recent Wes Montgomery and Lee Ritnour models.

The value should be around the same or a little less than a standard L-5CES. The "oddball" models do not bring a premium on the open market for the "standard" models are most sought after. The selling prices on the L-5 has remained constant in the United States for the last 15 or 20 years at around $5000 (U.S.). The ones with asking prices in the 7-10K range are not selling.

• 2 months later...

Hi there,

The Super V was produced from 1978 until early nineties I believe. The Super V BJB (acoustic with floating PU) was made from 1978-1984.

My bjb-model is from 1979 (yes, the one from "http://www.archtop.com/ac_79SuperV.html" ended up in The Netherlands).

The maple is quite plain, only flame is on the neck (see photos). That's the main problem of these guitars, premium, almost flashy appointments but cheap wood.

My guitar buddy has a beautiful Super V vintage sunburst with a floating pickup. A really great guitar. Beautiful tone when played as an acoustic but also really great through his Polytone. Quality of the wood seems fine. Certainly nothing cheap about it!

I'm no expert but I haven't found that beautiful looking guitars necessarily sound better than plain looking guitars.The visual beauty of the wood can vary dramatically between guitars within the same model. However the sound quality is another question again. I'd be interested in the views of others but my most beautiful looking guitars aren't necessarily my best sounding guitars!!!

Super V was the brainchild of my old NW Indiana homeboy, and former President of Gibson under Norlin, Bruce J Bolen. It was released in the late 70s. Bruce was a tremendous (make that SCARY GOOD) musician and something of a character. Les Paul referred to him as his illegitimate son, which was in jest of course. Not sure whatever happened to Bruce, but last time I heard his son was working for Fender in Nashville as artist relations rep. These are fairly rare guitars, but pop up from time to time on the Bay.

That's the main problem of these guitars' date=' premium, almost flashy appointments but cheap wood.[/quote']

There's a difference between "cheap woods" and "plain" woods. Just because a piece of maple is not flamed does not mean it is not good tone-wood.

During most of the 60's and 70's all gibson guitars were being built out of what could be described as "plain" wood. There weren't even any flamed Les Pauls from that era, but that doesn't mean they were being built out of "cheap" wood, they just weren't as pretty.

Well, maybe "cheap wood" is a bit strong, but I wonder why in the late seventies Gibson introduced those dark stains (dark walnut) and in the nineties they put flames on everything, even on 175's (laminate wood). There must have been either a temporary fashion change ("no stripes please") or there was some cost aspect involved. If you look at my guitar's back ( http://www.archtop.com/ac_79SuperV.html ) you'll agree that very few guitar builders would now use a peace of maple like that on a 10K instrument. (Adrian Ingram referres to it as"speckled balsa" in "The Gibson L5").

But you guys are right, a guitar is not a peace of furniture. The neck plays like a dream and it sounds great. Good value, I'm a happy player.

• 2 weeks later...

The Gibson Super V CES was built between 1978 to 1993 as a special series. Because she should be better-balanced than all present Jazz-Guitars Gibson took the neck of the Super 400 and the body of L 5. To make'er more valuable the guitar got some features like miles of bindings or the 6 fingers Tailpiece. The edition was not big enough to pass this instrument famous - although it has earned it. Maybe these are the best Jazz-Guitars ever built. I bought one last year from the US and payed $ 8500 tax incl. Maybe there are 400 to 600 Super V CES worldwide. She has the character for beeing a real questioned instrument in a couple of years.

Mike from Germany

Archived