Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Songwriter saddle adjustment

Dean780

Hello, Guys

I am very new to this forum and need a little help with my acoustic, this was my first Acoustic from gibson so i am still trying to learn gibson acoustics, anyway i bought i used songwriter recently which was in perfect condition, my question is when i fretted the 13th string the string appears to be giving (in plain language) the same pitch all along down the frets, up to fret 20, it sounds like the string is fretted at fret 20, i think the saddle might just be a little bit too low( am i right), the neck is straight from what i can see. Do i need a new saddle or can i increase the height a little bit, if i can increase the saddle how would i do that? any ideas guys, thanks again.

Gibson LP 59 reissue

Gibson LP Standard 2005

Gibson LP Goldtop 2006

Gibson LP Studio 2009

Fender American Standard Strat 2010

Welcome!

Sounds like the guitar needs a good setup. Shimming a saddle to height is not a good solution - if a low saddle is in fact the problem a new saddle should be made, not the existing one shimmed up. I'd take it to a good repairman for a checkup.

Guest rogerb

Hi Dean780, It sounds like the guitar needs a basic set-up done which would include truss rod adjustment and saddle adjustment. I recommend taking your guitar to an authorized service center to have it evaluated and set up. To locate an authorized Gibson service center in your area click on this link: http://www.gibson.com/Service/Warranty%20Service%20Center/

Thanks for the reply guys, Actually my problem as well is that there are no trusted repairmen around my place and the last setup that i saw them doing on an ibanez scared me a little bit, i'm a handy man as well, i do my own setup on my Les Paul's but i'm an absolute beginner with acoustic stuff, would you recommend a beginner on acoustics to do a basic setup on the songwriter, i haven't actually found anything on the web specific to the songwriter though, or am i not looking hard enough

If it is sounding the same note from 13 up then it might be more than just a saddle adjustment. You might be looking at a high fret. It would be important to take it to someone who knows guitars. A high fret can be fixed easily but not by someone who is a "handyman" with tools. You need specific tools and the knowledge of the complexities of neck angle, truss rod, saddle and fret height adjustments.

Thanks for that dB, I might have to actually do that, i'll see what i can source out, after looking closely for the second time, i found that the D,G,B and lower E strings all buzz at the 15th fret, in addition to the lower E buzz as well and the part of the nut that holds the Lower E has broken off a little bit lowering the action of the e string by about 1mm from the rest of the strings and the neck after a long look has a bow as well, so i guess that's probably too much work for me, Perils of buying from Ebay, Lol. Anyway thanks for all the replies guys, Cheers.

Gibson LP 59 Reissue(Brazilian)

Gibson LP Standard 2005

Gibson LP Standard Goldtop 2006

Gibson LP Studio 2009

Gibson Deluxe Songwriter 2006

Fender American Standard Strat 2010

Another possibility- the guitar is really dried out and in need of humidification so the action has gone very low.

The fix is pretty much free if I am right. Cut up an old sponge into 3 pieces, wet them and wring them out, place them in 3 zip sandwich bags with many holes punched in them. Put one by the headstock, one near the neck body joint, and one in the soundhole on a piece of string so you can remove it. do all this with the guitar in the case- close it up for 3 days and see how it plays when it comes out.

it's also possible that it has the dreaded "body hump". if the neck is bowed at the body joint then the truss rod can't fix it. only a neck reset. given which fret is giving you a problem, i think this could be true. if you are really lucky then the fretboard can be planed to fix it. take it to someone who knows what they are doing with acoustics!

Archived