Gibson Brands Forums

Recommendation for a "Fine Scratch Remover"

onewilyfool

On one of my recent purchases, there was some mild buckle rash on the back. Just surface scratching, not to the wood, but it really bugged me.....lol......I asked a luthier friend what he recommends for minor scratch repair. He told me about a product that really worked well, and removed from sight, the aforementioned scratches.....It's called Novus #2 Fine Scratch Remover. I got it at a store called "Tap Plastics", so I don't know if they are nation wide or world wide, but I'm sure you can find them at other places. It's original purpose is to restore original appearance to plastics, but works GREAT on guitar finishes too. It is very fine abrasive grit, that brings fine scratches to shine. I've also used it on my pickguards, just to see if it works, and it does a great job. So just FYI, if any of you want to do a spit shine to your guits!!!

I have heard that the Novus is good stuff. I have used the Meguiars products for years on many a vintage Gibson with excellant results. They make several grits by the number system. The #7 show car glaze is probably comparable to the Novus that you recommend. I use the #4 heavy cut cleaner followed with the #7 on guitars with a lot of 'grunge' build-up. It wears your fingers and elbows out ....but the results are worth it [blink]

Archived