Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Studio Faded - Pickups question

Weednuts

Hey all,

I just bought a used 09 LP Studio in faded brown. Love it. I always thought the Studio came with 490/498s like in my SG Standard. Now I'm reading that they are Burstbucker Pros in the faded models. There seems to be conflicting info out there on this. Did they change this at some point? Has it always been BB Pros for this model? Is my 09 model the 490/498s or the BB pros? It sound great either way, but it would be nice to know.

The LP sounds different but I don't know if it's the guitar or the pickups. I really like the 498 pickup in the SG, it's got real character but has some drawbacks. One of those drawbacks is that it doesn't respond very well to volume knob changes. The LP responds better in this regard. The LP also sustains more even unplugged for that matter, I finally understand what LP owners were always talking about! The SG is great too, but not the same in this regard.

Also, I understand that this model is chambered and that is why it is light. Am I correct with this info? Why would Gibson go through that trouble but not do it on more expensive models? This guitar is such a bargain, I can hardly believe it! Especially for me because I don't care for bound boards and I love the natural look of the finish too.

Thanks for any input on this.

Hello,

if it is the worn brown or cherry then they come with bb pros which is a very nice pickup. It is chambered and that gives it a nice acoustic sound to it. Chambering is done on selected models from the studios right up to a 1958 re issue. That would be called the CR8...So inclusion, not all the Gibson's are chambered but some are...make sense hehe

• 2 weeks later...

Archived