Gibson Brands Forums

Opinions of the J-35...

Eddie Rondack

I have one, and it's an INCREDIBLE guitar. Rings like a bell at all frequencies whether touched lightly or driven hard. In some other adi/sitka threads, someone mentioned red spruce needs to be driven harder to get the highs; that's definitely NOT the case in the J35 I have, for whatever reason.

Fullers was at the Dallas guitar show recently, and the J 35 they displayed there seemed slightly different than mine (which I bought sight unseen from them via the web earlier in the year). The neck on the one displayed seemed more like the AJ's, while mine is chunkier, like a little table leg. Mine felt to me like the neck on a Luthier's Choice model they had (which they told me had the deepest necks), but the salesman assured me it couldn't be the same. Mine's a handful, though, but surprisingly comfortable. It's certainly deeper than the neck on my AJ. The one Fuller's had displayed that day had a cosmetic difference, too: the headstock veneer was solid black, while mine has a dark brown, wood grained veneer.

My AJ came from Fuller's very well set up, with a nice low action (though they did not ask if I had any preference). I would say the mids are more up front than on my AJ, and it can be louder, too (though it whispers easily and with a full voice). It came in the blue-lined standard case.

I used my inspection mirror to confirm that the bracing is the same as an AJ's. The scale is shorter though. Same bridge and saddle. Beautiful burst with a small center, similar to the pictures of the OJ's I've seen. I don't know whether it's just the pictures, but the burst on mine seems to graduate more slowly and evenly than the bursts as they appear in the OJ pictures.

Having been to the Dallas guitar show for the last few years, I can also tell you that Fullers always has a huge selection of really outstanding Gibsons (which is why I wasn't apprehensive about buying from them online). As Gibson's biggest dealer, they seem to get the cream of the crop.

Let me know if you have a specific question.

Red 333

• 2 months later...

I was wondering if the body shape on this model is the same as a J-45 or the same as the OJ. The OJ body does NOT taper at the upper bout like a J-45, J-50, SJ or AJ. It is almost if not the same depth across the guitar.

Can anyone share any info on this???

Thanks

Mike

I was wondering if the body shape on this model is the same as a J-45 or the same as the OJ. The OJ body does NOT taper at the upper bout like a J-45' date=' J-50, SJ or AJ. It is almost if not the same depth across the guitar.

Thanks

Mike[/quote']

I will check mine tonight. If I remember correctly, the body tapers, but I will confirm this evening.

I was wondering if the body shape on this model is the same as a J-45 or the same as the OJ. The OJ body does NOT taper at the upper bout like a J-45' date=' J-50, SJ or AJ. It is almost if not the same depth across the guitar.

Thanks

Mike[/quote']

It tapers.

Red 333

Archived