Gibson Brands Forums

MXR Carbon Copy and Way Huge Aqua Puss Shootout

bluesguitar65

Nice vid bluesguitar65! IMHO' date=' the MXR CC sounds much cleaner compared to the aqua puss...

I suppose the settings were comparable (tone, volume, speed, delay, mix, regen, etc...)? [/quote']

Yes, I tried to set them equally. The CC has a longer delay than the AP, so you set the controls by ear. You can't set the controls the same visually, specially on the delay control, delay setting turned all the way clockwise on the AP is 300ms, while the CC is at 600ms. So you gotta set it by ear. I was fiddling with knobs in video.

Sweet setup there. You got two great delay pedals. What version is your OCD? I got the v4.

The same. I recall a post recently about the v4' date=' was is yours?

Check out also this video about the 4 OCD-models testing... (the pedals are switched 'on' by the heat of the guy's foot[biggrin'] )

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

I have the MXR CC and IMO it's average..... It doesn't come close to my 79 MXR green box delay that recently died. The one thing I do like about the CC, is that it has a true mechanical by-pass but that's it. It sounds even worse through the fx-loop[blink] ......

I'm looking for a digital unit now, that I can run through the fx-loop

Cool vid. Thanks!

The carbon copy sounds crisper, but if I was looking for an analog delay (I use digital right now) I'd pick the way huge - it sounds warmer more organic to me.

LOVE the Carbon Copy ! I bought one a while back to use while my 70's Memory Man was getting repaired' date=' and ended up selling the DMM! [/quote']

Man, I would of loved to get my hands on that 70s Memory Man. Those are much sought after as the Echoplex. I wish I kept them. Back in the 80s you can pick those up for less than $100 used[crying]

Cool vid. Thanks!

The carbon copy sounds crisper' date=' but if I was looking for an analog delay (I use digital right now) I'd pick the way huge - it sounds warmer more organic to me. [/quote']

Hhahah!! That is why I ended up buying both. I use the Carbon for long delays, solo type echos, and use the Aqua for slap back or shorter echos. I'm shocked that original Aqua Puss has a premium of $500+ while the reissue sounds so identical.

Not to bad. except I do have a question in your description you said you are using your Marshall Class 5 and yet you are stomping on the Vox footswitching system.

The Vox footswitch is for my Vox VT30 modeling amp. On the video, it may appear I was stomping on the Vox footswitch as the pedals I was comparing are right above it. Notice the "blue" LED lights from both pedals turning on after I stomp on them.

Well I don't feel so bad, because I thought it was my playing that might be creating the issue with MXR CC.... But I hear that certain dullness from the MXR CC in your vid as well, despite your great playing.[biggrin]

The Vox footswitch is for my Vox VT30 modeling amp. On the video' date=' it may appear I was stomping on the Vox footswitch as the pedals I was comparing are right above it. Notice the "blue" LED lights from both pedals turning on after I stomp on them. [/quote']

Oh Ok I didn't know cause on your description on youtube video itself mention using the Marshall Class 5.

Anyhow I'm getting the Aqua Puss myself. So I will let you all know what I think about it.

Well I don't feel so bad' date=' because I thought it was my playing that might be creating the issue with MXR CC.... But I hear that certain dullness from the MXR CC in your vid as well, despite your great playing.[cool']

So I take you like the Aqua Puss better?[biggrin]

Oh Ok I didn't know cause on your description on youtube video itself mention using the Marshall Class 5.

Anyhow I'm getting the Aqua Puss myself. So I will let you all know what I think about it.

Yes, keep us posted. I'm sure you will like the Aqua Puss.

Man' date=' I would of loved to get my hands on that 70s Memory Man. Those are much sought after as the Echoplex. I wish I kept them. Back in the 80s you can pick those up for less than $100 used[crying']

I got real lucky on mine. I bought it at GC a long time ago for around $80! They thought it was broken, but it only needed the trim pots adjusted. It was great for studio use, but messed with the tone WAY too much to use in a live rig(I used a recent DMM for shows-another lucky find at GC for $90).

I like the TRex delay pedal quite a bit too, but it costs $400!!

So I take you like the Aqua Puss better?[biggrin]

I really wouldn't be able to tell unless I'm noodling with the effect' date=' but the Aqua seems warmer to me, and fits my style of playing a bit better. If I cant get my green box fixed, it's time to go delay shopping again[biggrin']

Archived