Gibson Brands Forums

L-4 CES

powerwagonjohn

Hello, I am new here. I recently bought a 2009 L-4CES. Why does my guitar not have a impressed serial number on the back of the headstock while all others I have seen do have a number on the back of the headstock? Also any idea to production figures? Thanks John

• 3 months later...

Do you have a way to post images of your L-4 CES. Specifically, the labels inside the F-holes. Overall pictures are nice too.

The label inside the treble lower bout should have the inspector's signature and build date.

The label inside the bass lower bout should have the serial number and will say Nashville, Tenn.

Hello, I am new here. I recently bought a 2009 L-4CES. Why does my guitar not have a impressed serial number on the back of the headstock while all others I have seen do have a number on the back of the headstock? Also any idea to production figures? Thanks John

If your asking these questions only now, why did you but it?

We get a ton of these questions after the fact. PEOPLE, ask these questions BEFORE you buy the guitar!

If your asking these questions only now, why did you but it?

We get a ton of these questions after the fact. PEOPLE, ask these questions BEFORE you buy the guitar!

Uncalled for response. He said he bought it new. He may have bought it sight unseen.

My new L5 CES has no number on the headstock. All pertinent information can be viewed through the upper F hole.

• 4 months later...

Well it's been awhile but I am back! Thanks for the replies, even Larry's. I bought my L-4CES new about 1 year ago from a reputable Gibson dealer in Iowa so I know I have got the real thing. I paid a little over $3200.00 for the guitar and did not have to pay sales tax so I felt I got a good deal on it. The question I had about the serial number impressed in the back of the head stock is still unanswered. I had the choice of two L-4CES guitars when I bought my guitar. One was a wine red guitar made about 4-6 months earlier than my guitar and has the serial number impressed into the back of the headstock where as my sunburst guitar does not. I am only curious, as I know my guitar is a REAL Gibson. I have since looked at several new L-5CES and Super 400 guitars and none have the serial number inpressed into the back of the headstock so I have to assume this is something they stopped doing late in 2009.

As I said I have had my L-4CES for about 1 year and I could not be happier with this guitar. Except for some minor adjustments to truss rod and bridge it plays flawless and sounds fantastic whether plugged in or not. The guitar's fit and finish is perfect and I have had no problems at all. With the temp and humidity changes we have in MN I expect minor changes to a solid wood guitar. I have played this guitar almost everyday since I bought it and as long as the temp stays the same the guitar stays in perfect tune. There is some overscraped binding and some rattles from the pick ups but I have thankfully had none of the quality problems that some have experenced. I have to say this guitar is everything and more I expected. It encorges me to play and so will make me a better player.

I had been looking at ES175's when I found this guitar as I wanted a full depth archtop. When I ran into the L-4CES I did not know anything about it but the guitar played and sounded great. I went home and did some research and waited about 30 days. I played several other guitars in the mean time but could not forget about the L-4, I guess it was calling me. Finally with my wifes encouragement I drove the 5 hours to Des Moines and bought the guitar. I was pretty nervious at the time but have never regretted the purchase.

In the past year I have read as much as I can find on L-4's and I have played a few used acoustic L-4's. This has led to further intrest and confusion about the history and evolution of the L-4CES especally the mahognay bodied guitars. I have read the 1980's reissue L-4CES guitars made with maple back and sides were lamanated but other's have told me some were made in solid maple. I have played a couple acoustic L-4's two with maple bodies and one with mahogny from the 1960's but couldn't tell if they were lamanate or solid wood.

I am also curious about production figures but Gibson is very tight lipped for some reason. I see the L-4CES guitar on E-bay from time to time but have not seen another one in a store, Gibson dealer or not.

I guess you could say this is my new obsession. Thanks for the indulgance. And thanks Gibson for another nice guitar. John

I know some one out there has more information and much more experance with the history of the L-4 guitars. And what is the deal with not giving out production figures for these guitars. I just want an idea of how many are made and how long it takes to make one. I would be in Nashville tomorrow if I could get a tour of the custom shop and see these being made!! After spending this much on a guitar a little information or a tour would not be much to ask for.

Thanks John

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I did get a partial response from Gibson customer service on my search for the history of the L-4CES reissue guitars. I also found some information in Vintage Guitar price guide. Here is what I have found out for those that are curious.

The L-4CES reissues or should I say Historic Reissues were introduced in 1986 with laminated mahogany back and sides that I would guess was the same as some of the ES175 put out at that time and were made that way through 1993. The L-4CES guitars made from 1994 through 2003 were made with laminated maple back and sides, again like the ES175 guitars. In 2004 and through current production the guitars are/were made with solid carved mahogany back and solid mahogany sides. The tops were all solid carved spruce [sitka], the laminated backs were pressed while solid mahogany backs were carved. I believe the carving was a combination of machine carving and hand finishing. this information is only as accurate as the various sources I have found and I have found some conflicting information. I am still awaiting more information from Gibson and with out there official input, which we are sorely lacking, this is as much as I have been able to find out. I would be very interested to find out more details about these guitars and hear first hand about how they are built. I know Gibson will not release production totals but it would be interesting to know how long these take to build and how much hand work is really involved in these works of art! I do hope there will be additional information posted here and any corrections to the information I have found. Also any comparisons anyone has between the various types of L-4CES guitars. I really enjoy my 2009 L-4CES and it will be with me as long as I can play!

Thanks John

• 3 months later...

I did get a partial response from Gibson customer service on my search for the history of the L-4CES reissue guitars. I also found some information in Vintage Guitar price guide. Here is what I have found out for those that are curious.

The L-4CES reissues or should I say Historic Reissues were introduced in 1986 with laminated mahogany back and sides that I would guess was the same as some of the ES175 put out at that time and were made that way through 1993. The L-4CES guitars made from 1994 through 2003 were made with laminated maple back and sides, again like the ES175 guitars. In 2004 and through current production the guitars are/were made with solid carved mahogany back and solid mahogany sides. The tops were all solid carved spruce [sitka], the laminated backs were pressed while solid mahogany backs were carved. I believe the carving was a combination of machine carving and hand finishing. this information is only as accurate as the various sources I have found and I have found some conflicting information. I am still awaiting more information from Gibson and with out there official input, which we are sorely lacking, this is as much as I have been able to find out. I would be very interested to find out more details about these guitars and hear first hand about how they are built. I know Gibson will not release production totals but it would be interesting to know how long these take to build and how much hand work is really involved in these works of art! I do hope there will be additional information posted here and any corrections to the information I have found. Also any comparisons anyone has between the various types of L-4CES guitars. I really enjoy my 2009 L-4CES and it will be with me as long as I can play!

Thanks John

I worked at the Gibson plant in nashville in 1991 and I can tell you the L4 CES (which I also own) was one of the least produced custom models. As you mention, most carving was done by machine but more attention was paid to what they called the "white wood" guitars - L 5, L4 etc. Many, many more 175s came through than L 4s and special attention was paid to all guitars having spruce tops. The carving on the tops was more manual than anything else they did and I still feel that the L 4 is a step down from the L 5...and quite a few steps up from a 175.

Thanks for your comments, I find it all very interesting. I think my L-4 is a work of art besides being the nicest guitar I own. The build quality is top notch as is the sound. It is a better guitar than I am a player but that just gives me more inspiration. In fact I was just playing it!

Some people have told me the early [1989] L-4CES reissues were made of solid mahogany back and sides. Is this true or are they just confusing these with the laminated mahogany models?

Thanks again John

Archived