Gibson Brands Forums

Jazz

dem00n

Brad Mehldau (DVW I believe introduced me to him, good stuff)

Thelonious Monk

John Coltrane

Louis (lou-eeeee) Armstrong!

Miles Davis

Pat Metheny

Just a few that come to mind

Jeff Beck's album Wired is an odd kinda jazz fusion if you're interested. I loved it.

In a sense I think there are a few "special guitar concepts" to add, too...

E.g., trumpet and sax players, etc., are playing one note at a time - no "double stops" or "chords" per se. A lotta guitarists doing jazz do essentially that type of thing, but with a different instrument that has obviously a different voice.

Then there are the more "chordal" pickers who functionally are doing more or less a keyboard sort of thing. Joe Pass and his experience going solo is an example. Charlie Byrd kind similar; depending on what you consider a lotta Chet Atkins, ditto.

Many "jazz guitarists" are playing what I consider "combo jazz." They may play single string, perhaps chords, but essentially with rhythm and "chords" added - or a drum and bass added where the guitar functionally is a piano.

I guess my point is that the options available to a guitarist are far greater than the set of options available to a wind instrumentalist and even a keyboard player. The guitar is somewhere in between - or is at one point of a triangle with wind on one angle, keyboard on the other and guitar at the apex. (Yeah, I'm prejudiced.) Stuff like vibes are yet something else, and no longer all that common.

My recommendation to someone wanting to do "jazz" is first to figure out whether they're going to do some solo stuff or combo stuff. That's a huge difference right there. Then one takes it from there given one's skill level and interests. At the combo-band level then one looks at the book being considered and what would be expected with a given sorta book from other musicians.

It's really a bit more complex than that, but frankly I think at the "practical" level, those are things to consider.

m

Archived