Gibson Brands Forums

we need a new thread . . . how 'bout cs-336?

eljay

You know... with the new re-arrangment of folders and main topics on the forum site there's no longer any explanation for what exactly "Custom Collection" is or was supposed to mean within the Gibson product line. As a loyal and loving CS-356 player, I know they were once supposed to be discussed in here (even if they can't be found in the Main site's product area)... but other than the obvious CS-336, I can't for the life of me recall what else was supposed to be covered by the "Custom Collection" label.

Perhaps, if Gibson were to rationalize things just a bit more in the forum customers and passersby might be able to find what they were looking for?

And perhaps... if the CS-356 was on the Main site you might sell a few more?

:-

• 2 months later...

with a couple of bros:

gibsonfamilya.jpg

"that is all . . . "

eljay, Hi! I know what you mean. I have a CS-336 that is identical to yours (VS-plain top...I like them better than the flame top...the plain top, depending

on the grain pattern, tends to have it's own unique character). I'm surprised there isn't more on the forum, thread-wise or otherwise, on the CS-336. It is very

unique in comparison to other CS or ES semi-hollows in that it is solid wood (carved mahogany bottom/side shell as opposed to laminated, and carved solid maple

top, again as opposed to laminated). Nickle plated hardware as opposed to Chrome, etc. With the two '57 Classic Hum-buckers in its wood makeup as previously described,

the color palette of the tone you get is, IMO, more vast than on the traditional maple laminate CS or ES models. Also, it's like a trans-gender, i.e., that even though

it's really a semi-hollow body guitar, because of how it's made and the wood it's comprised of, can sound just like a solid body guitar. It is truly a hybrid

in that respect.

I like your picture showing the comparison with the Studio Les Paul and the ES-335 (they both look like they have faded finishes). Helps to show that the CS-336 has

a Les Paul size body, with the look of an ES-335. When I play my Epiphone Sheraton II (which has the ES-335 style body) it seems so big in comparison to the CS-336.

You see the difference more when they're side by side, like in your photo.

hi, paul; thanks for your note!

the lester is a faded cherry studio (s'posed to look faded!) and the 335 is the satin finish from MF.

i wanted a 339 for a while, but no longer. 336 is close enough and a much more "elite" instrument. like you, i prefer plain top to figured. regards!

hi, paul; thanks for your note!

the lester is a faded cherry studio (s'posed to look faded!) and the 335 is the satin finish from MF.

i wanted a 339 for a while, but no longer. 336 is close enough and a much more "elite" instrument. like you, i prefer plain top to figured. regards!

eljay, I like the faded finish on you LP Studio (BTW, what kind of pickups does that have? Are the regular Humbuckers or Burstbuckers? Let me know as

I'm thinking of getting a Gibson Studio LP in the future. I can't afford the LP Standard [sad], although I would like one of them.) I'm not too keen on the

Satin finish look, like you have on the ES-335, though. I once had a Cherry Red ES-335 that had the nice nitro finish, like our CS-336's have. It looked sharp.

Having my CS-336 now has helped me get over the regret of not having my ES-335 anymore. Plus I like the smaller body on the CS-336.

eljay, I like the faded finish on you LP Studio (BTW, what kind of pickups does that have? Are the regular Humbuckers or Burstbuckers? Let me know as

I'm thinking of getting a Gibson Studio LP in the future. I can't afford the LP Standard [sad], although I would like one of them.) I'm not too keen on the

Satin finish look, like you have on the ES-335, though. I once had a Cherry Red ES-335 that had the nice nitro finish, like our CS-336's have. It looked sharp.

Having my CS-336 now has helped me get over the regret of not having my ES-335 anymore. Plus I like the smaller body on the CS-336.

hey, paul. my lp studio has burstbuckers; it's the "faded cherry" bottom-of-the-line model and it is a wonderful guitar. under $900 otd,too! it tunes up easily, plays well, and has a very wide sonic range. the neck pup delivers serious mellow and the bridge pup is surprisingly bright. best bang-for-buck axe in my herd!

the satin 335 was my first guitar after a 20 + year layoff. i wanted a real 335 at "low" cost. i got one. it's a fine, no-frills guitar.

keep me posted,

Archived