Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird "R0" in 2010?

Hummingbird2000

Has anyone heard (at the 2010 Homecoming in Bozeman, or elsewhere) if Gibson is planning to release a Hummingbird "R0" (similar to the Les Paul R8, R9 and R0 reissues from the Custom Shop) during 2010, since this is the 'Bird's 50th anniversary? Or will we need to be content with the Hummingbird True Vintage VOS?

Has anyone heard (at the 2010 Homecoming in Bozeman' date=' or elsewhere) if Gibson is planning to relase a Hummingbird "R0" (similar to the Les Paul R8, R9 and R0 reissues from the Custom Shop) during 2010, since this is the 'Bird's 50th anniversary? Or will we need to be content with the Hummingbird True Vintage VOS?

[/quote']

I wish I knew what all that "R" nomenclature meant.

I agree about the 'Real Guitars', birds and such.

As far as I know, the "R" stands for "reissue", and the single digit stands for the original year of production, so in a Les Paul Standard model, R9 is shorthand for a reissue of the 1959 Les Paul Standard.

I'd love to be able to buy a Hummingbird R0, as close to an exact replica of the original 1960 Hummingbird as Bozeman could make. This would include the dreaded adjustable ceramic-insert bridge and casting the pickguard in the original celluloid instead of styrene plastic. I know they would not be allowed to use Brazilian rosewood for the fretboard and bridge, but I'd like some type of rosewood that looks more like Braz than the current stash of Madagascar rosewood.

Dream on, like the man says in the song...

Has anyone heard (at the 2010 Homecoming in Bozeman' date=' or elsewhere) if Gibson is planning to release a Hummingbird "R0" (similar to the Les Paul R8, R9 and R0 reissues from the Custom Shop) during 2010, ...[/quote']

Heard in Bozeman that there will be a 50th Anniversary 'Bird this year. How accurately will it reproduce the original? Ummm, I wasn't paying much attention. Sorry!

I can tell you that it won't have a Madi rosewood fingerboard and bridge though: Henry's decided there will be no more Madi, period. Bozeman can't even use up its (substantial) existing stock.

-- Bob R

Gibson does not offer any guitar which recreates the bracing found in the 1960 HB so unless they come out with a Legend Series version I am guessing the most you will see is a TV model with some additional doodad on the guitar someplace noting it is an anniversary model.

Archived