Gibson Brands Forums

Changing out the Element for iBeam in my SWD

drathbun

I've got to say I'm becoming a little dismayed at the flaws in the workmanship on my SWD. None of these issues I've found with it have any effect on the sound quality of the guitar and I'm still very much in love with it. However, after the finish flaws, I've now discovered a couple things inside the guitar as well.

I purchased an active iBeam pickup to replace the Element. The Element isn't bad as UST's go, but I still find the iBeam a superior pickup to anything I've heard. So I'm in the process of removing the Element and putting in the iBeam. After removing the Element, I examined the bridge plate to make sure it is clean and flat and low and behold what do I discover?

DSCF2106.jpg

I discover that the bridge plate is not only not clean and flat, it is laminate! I'm used to high end guitars having a solid piece of maple here. Also, someone has drilled a partial hole in the centre of it right where the iBeam needs to go! There also seem to be two holes for the Element pickup to go through. Misjudged the first one I expect. However, that circular depression and chip could not have been made while the bridge plate was in place. So the defect would be evident to the builder. Why not discard it? How much can a piece of laminate 2"x3" cost?

I'm also dismayed by the punch out chips around the string holes. This area is extremely important for the longevity of the guitar! If the edges of those holes get too chipped up from the ball ends over the years, the bridge plate needs to be replaced as it will no longer lock the ball ends under the plate. So to punch a drill through from the top with a care to not rip out pieces around the holes on the inside, would be job #1 in my mind.

Now I don't know whether I should fill this depression with filler and sand it flush or just let the iBeam sit astride it. Either of these solutions would mean degraded performance of the pickup.

I've also just noticed a split in the X brace and all the inside braces are not well sanded.. very rough looking. I'm going to forgive that however as I've also noticed the top braces are hand scalloped and some of them are very thin indeed. Which is probably the reason the guitar sounds so sweet.

I am...

not impressed.

[thumbup]

I've successfully pulled the Element out and installed the iBeam. I filled the hole in the bridge plate with wood filler and left it to dry overnight. Then I sanded it smooth. I removed all the residue from the cable anchors and the volume knob from the Element with naptha. The iBeam went in beautifully. This is my fifth iBeam install.

DSCF2112.jpg

I used an old Tusq saddle that was a little taller to compensate for the Element UST until I can get a new bone saddle from Bob Collosi. I'm very pleased to hear the iBeam sound out of the Songwriter. All that brittleness from the Element is gone in favour of the warmth and presence of the iBeam.

I'm also amazed at the volume increase in the SWD unplugged! The guitar sounds much sweeter (if that is possible) and that is with a Tusq saddle. So the added metal braid under the saddle makes a huge difference in my opinion to the sound of the guitar unplugged.

This has been a nice upgrade.

I've got to say I'm becoming a little dismayed at the flaws in the workmanship on my SWD. None of these issues I've found with it have any effect on the sound quality of the guitar and I'm still very much in love with it...

Somewhere I read noted luthier / builder John Greven talking about his reproduction of the vintage L-00...

The essence of it was when he built them flawlessly they didn't sound right, but when he purposely included a little sloppiness like the originals, then he was able to nail the tone...

The Gibson mystique just keeps getting better and better...

Looks like you did a good job of cleaning it up.

I've used a few I-Beams and I never liked them a whole bunch. It's strange though because I seem to see people who either love them or hate them. Not much in between. Regardless glad you found one you like!

John makes really nice guitars. I know some other guys who also do that sort of thing with the braces and such. I can't hardly bring myself not to make it all spotless, but I know some fellas who leave saw marks on them because that's the way they were back in the day. I can't imagine that really effecting the tone, but it gives it a cool vibe!

I was going to ask you who you were getting in town to install the I-Beam but I see you're doing it yourself. I have to get an I-Mix installed in Magic so I'm wondering what I'm going to find under there when I do. For all the times I've changed strings I've never bothered to take a mirror and do a check for what the innards are like on this guitar (Magic). Still, the guitar is 6 years old now and I've never had a problem with it.

Doug, are you going to do a YouTube clip with the new pickup?

I was going to ask you who you were getting in town to install the I-Beam but I see you're doing it yourself. I have to get an I-Mix installed in Magic so I'm wondering what I'm going to find under there when I do. For all the times I've changed strings I've never bothered to take a mirror and do a check for what the innards are like on this guitar (Magic). Still' date=' the guitar is 6 years old now and I've never had a problem with it.

Doug, are you going to do a YouTube clip with the new pickup?[/quote']

Hey Gilliangirl,

I'm not sure how much a YouTube vid would pickup the pickup if you know what I mean! ;)

Perhaps I'll do an audio test.

I'm very happy with the sound of the iBeam through my Acoustasonic but I'm more thrilled with the sound of the guitar now unplugged. It is like it has suddenly opened up now that the saddle isn't sitting on 2mm of braided metal.

I've just ordered a new bone saddle from Bob Collosi. I love this guy. He answers his email within 30 minutes! Unheard of customer service and tech support.

Hey Gilliangirl' date='

I'm not sure how much a YouTube vid would pickup the pickup if you know what I mean! ;)

Perhaps I'll do an audio test.

I'm very happy with the sound of the iBeam through my Acoustasonic but I'm more thrilled with the sound of the guitar now unplugged. It is like it has suddenly opened up now that the saddle isn't sitting on 2mm of braided metal.

I've just ordered a new bone saddle from Bob Collosi. I love this guy. He answers his email within 30 minutes! Unheard of customer service and tech support.

[/quote']

Dang!! I wish I'd known you were ordering from Bob...... I would have suggested piggybacking on your order because I have a few things I need (saddle and pins). Next time you order from him will you consider letting me know? I'll send you an email.

Are you doing any more live open mics this summer?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm just tacking this on to an old thread I started about the bridge plate on my SWD.

I just bought a new Yamaha FG310 for my daughter's birthday. I made a new bone saddle for her and while I was working on the new, out of the box, guitar, I checked the bridge plate with my mirror. The Gibson is a masterpiece compared to this!

I know it is only a $150 guitar but holy SCHMECK! It took this photo just after removing the strings and having the guitar home for 10 minutes.

DSCF2193.jpg

It is still a great sounding and playing guitar for the money.

I have both of them blended with the L.R Baggs small D.I. inside the guitar. You will never buy another pickup after this. Its so close to your natural tone of the guitar. Its basically the iMIX but i think they call it something else now. Dont waste money on anything else my friend.

Archived