Gibson Brands Forums

Extra heavy string gauges (.013, .014 ++)

Sionkg

I've been playing with 0.12s'. Where can I find heavier string gauges? (links plz) Will baritone sets do? Ive only found 0.13s' and 0.14s' on baritone string sets. Also at what gauge will modifications on the nut of an LP be needed in order for the strings to fit?

Thanks.

Edit : Im using a standard scale LP btw.

I've been playing with 0.12s'. Where can I find heavier string gauges? (links plz) Will baritone sets do? Ive only found 0.13s' and 0.14s' on baritone string sets. Also at what gauge will modifications on the nut of an LP be needed in order for the strings to fit?

Thanks.

Edit : Im using a standard scale LP btw.

Are you trying to snap the neck? or are you wanting your tuning so low it becomes a bass?

Are you trying to snap the neck? or are you wanting your tuning so low it becomes a bass?

Im tuning low: B Standard and lower.. And I also dont want the strings to be floppy.

Btw SRV was playing with 13s on E standard

Im tuning low: B Standard and lower.. And I also dont want the strings to be floppy.

Btw SRV was playing with 13s on E standard

I've played with 13's on standard tuning just to see what it was like, and all I'm trying to say is they dont make guitar strings bigger than 13's. also baritone strings are designed for baritone guitars which have longers scales so I don't know if it will work.

I've played with 13's on standard tuning just to see what it was like' date=' and all I'm trying to say is they dont make guitar strings bigger than 13's. also baritone strings are designed for baritone guitars which have longers scales so I don't know if it will work.[/quote']

Hm so 13s are the top? Do you know any brands producing them?

and all I'm trying to say is they dont make guitar strings bigger than 13's.

This statement is completely inaccurate. It might be true if it read "Guitar Center doesn't sell guitar strings sets bigger than 13's"' date=' and in the case of my local GC, that would actually be 11's. By combining parts of different sets and/or buying individual strings of specific guages, you can virtually put together ANY set of strings you like. The only off-the-rack limitation is how big a plain (unwound) third you can find, for most sets over 12 use a wound third. A wound third might even be advatageous for dropped tuning, I don't play it so I don't know. If you need a heavy guage plain third, you can always "unwind" a large wound string and use the core, which is a regular plain string.

also baritone strings are designed for baritone guitars which have longers scales so I don't know if it will work.

A guitar doesn't not recognize that a certain string should be on a baritone, come on now. Any stringed instrument only recognizes tension, not what's printed on the packaging. If a set of baritone strings contains the guages you want/need, take a pair of wire snippers and cut it off.

A guitar doesn't not recognize that a certain string should be on a baritone' date=' come on now. Any stringed instrument only recognizes tension, not what's printed on the packaging. If a set of baritone strings contains the guages you want/need, take a pair of wire snippers and cut it off.[/quote']

Cutting the strings off seems to be difficult for so many though!

Anyway, what you can do if you don't find heavier sets is to buy regular sets and use the 2nd string as your 1st, and then just buy a separate 6th string.

And on a personal note, I can't for the life of me understand why people pick short scale guitars to use for these low tunings. If it just has to be a Gibson, go find one of those LP Studio Barritones they made a couple of years back. I can more or less guarantee you it will sound better, intonate better, and generally be a lot less hassle.

This statement is completely inaccurate. It might be true if it read "Guitar Center doesn't sell guitar strings sets bigger than 13's"' date=' and in the case of my local GC, that would actually be 11's. By combining parts of different sets and/or buying individual strings of specific guages, you can virtually put together ANY set of strings you like. The only off-the-rack limitation is how big a plain (unwound) third you can find, for most sets over 12 use a wound third. A wound third might even be advatageous for dropped tuning, I don't play it so I don't know. If you need a heavy guage plain third, you can always "unwind" a large wound string and use the core, which is a regular plain string.

A guitar doesn't not recognize that a certain string should be on a baritone, come on now. Any stringed instrument only recognizes tension, not what's printed on the packaging. If a set of baritone strings contains the guages you want/need, take a pair of wire snippers and cut it off.[/quote']

First off, I have never seen a normal string set bigger than 13's I didn't mean to say "they don't exist period" i was just trying to say I haven't seen any. and what does Guitar Center have to do with this? You think I got all my info from going from a guitar center. Well I didn't.

and the scale of the guitar does matter, the strings were made for longer guitar's because of the higher tension, you are ignoring that fact. Of course a guitar won't recognize if it's the right string, but your ears may.

I dont want a flame war between us and realize we are just stating our opinions to help the guy out.[biggrin]

and the scale of the guitar does matter' date=' the strings were made for longer guitar's because of the higher tension, you are ignoring that fact. Of course a guitar won't recognize if it's the right string, but your ears may. [/quote']

Since he's tuning down, the tension won't be a problem. Or rather, he is tuning down so low that tension IS a problem, and the heavier strings will help with that.

Strings aren't made for any particular scale. Are there right and wrong strings for Strats and LPs? They don't use the same scale either. A strings pitch, somewhat simplified, depends on lenght (scale in our case), mass, and tension. He wants to tune to B standard, so pitch is fixed, scale is fixed, and the variable is mass (guage in this case) and that variable will result in different tension. That's it.

There are strings on Musician's Friend advertised as Guitar/Bass strings - 24 gauge. That may be too heavy for your tuning, though. A review said they were going to F.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/D%27Addario-XL156-XL-6String-Guitar-Bass-Strings?sku=100340

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/D%27Addario-XL155-Jerry-Jones-XL-Electric-GuitarBass-Strings?sku=100339

There are strings on Musician's Friend advertised as Guitar/Bass strings - 24 gauge. That may be too heavy for your tuning' date=' though. A review said they were going to F.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/D%27Addario-XL156-XL-6String-Guitar-Bass-Strings?sku=100340

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/D%27Addario-XL155-Jerry-Jones-XL-Electric-GuitarBass-Strings?sku=100339[/quote']

oh ! Great. Think Im gonna use the 3 first from a 0.13 set and the 3rd 4th 5th from this set for my 4th,5th and 6th string. 0.72 sounds sweet ;). The nut might not fit it though.. Any1 knows the limit gauge of the nut (LP)?

Since he's tuning down' date=' the tension won't be a problem. Or rather, he is tuning down so low that tension IS a problem, and the heavier strings will help with that.

Strings aren't made for any particular scale. Are there right and wrong strings for Strats and LPs? They don't use the same scale either. A strings pitch, somewhat simplified, depends on lenght (scale in our case), mass, and tension. He wants to tune to B standard, so pitch is fixed, scale is fixed, and the variable is mass (guage in this case) and that variable will result in different tension. That's it. [/quote']

So baritone guitars and basses have longer scales for no reason? Obviously there's a reason.The longer the string the more bassy of a sound so the length does in fact matter.

So baritone guitars and basses have longer scales for no reason? Obviously there's a reason.The longer the string the more bassy of a sound so the length does in fact matter.

I'm well aware of how scale and sound works' date=' thank you very much. If you look at my first post I even ask why anyone would use a short scale guitar for the really low tunings. But that wasn't really what we were talking about, was it. [i']"the strings were made for longer guitar's because of the higher tension, you are ignoring that fact."[/i] suggests that certain strings only works, or works best, for a certain scale, which is false.

Archived