Gibson Brands Forums

Need help with dating this Super 400

rogerhammond

Any help in dating this Super 400 would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to locate this exact guitar. It was my father's and he sold it back in 2000 before he lost his battle with cancer. He sold it at Emerald City Guitars in Seattle, WA. If anyone knows where it might have ended up, please contact me - 206-321-9099, my name is Roger.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs213.snc4/38990_1492615111271_1110835395_1431917_4333194_n.jpg

I forgot to put that the best I can tell it appears to be a 1962, but I'm not certain. I think there were less than 10 made of this year and model so if you know anyone with one of these, please don't hesitate to ask them about the history. If anything, I'd just like to know where it is and possibly make arrangements to buy it back (if the owner were so gracious enough to part with it). Thanks.

Published shipping totals for the Super 400CES show 40 for 1962, 16 of which were natural. These are fairly typical production numbers for the 60's. During this era there were always fewer made in natural because there was less of a demand for them.

During this era there were always fewer made in natural because there was less of a demand for them.

There were fewer made in natural (this is almost universally true for the entire history of all Gibson archtop models) because they were of premium quality. They featured premium wood (a higher grade of maple)' date=' and required more time and effort to make (bindings and glue joints had to be neater, as any sloppy details could not be hidden by the stain used on sunbursts).[/b']

Natural finished archtops have always been at a premium. They're harder to find, generally more desirable (in terms of rarity and investment potential), and were always more expensive, and they are generally worth more now than their sunburst counterparts, all other features being equal.

Archived