Gibson Brands Forums

Those Nice Folk in El Paso

Mr. Robot

To show some of the cultural differences in different areas of the world...

Neo, the last pair of jeans I got before this year's rodeo season, I went to my local clothing store which is mostly "cowboy" working and dress clothing store.

Pete, the owner, is a card, and I'd write that if he were looking over my shoulder. So his staff follows suit. I swear, they remember what I have for boots, shirts, hats... but they're kinda blunt.

I figured I'm getting a little older, so I'd get a looser fit in a new set of Wranglers than I've been wearing so if I hadda hop over a fence from a bull or even unhappy bronc, it'd be a little easier.

Shannon, the young lady whose son is getting into junior bull riding, had me try 'em on, then when she saw 'em, said, "M... take 'em off. You can't get those 'cuz it makes you look like you don't have any *** at all."

Say what? Here's a girl young enough to be my daughter saying what? <chortle>

Okay, I ended up in another cut. Still Wranglers, though. No need to hop a fence this year, either, although there was one bull got a leeetle close. I did climb a fence or two for a better angle at cattle cutting competition.

BTW, summers I wear a straw; fall it goes back to felt. But some of my hats and boots are older than some folks on this forum. But what the heck, so are most of my guitars.

m

Neo...

Good thought.

Just watch out that I swear, some of the less expensive straw varieties are plastic.

The felt... if you're wearing them during warm weather, get a darker color 'stedda lighter, 'cuz you'll really discolor a sand or silverbelly hat. Of course, after a point you can say it's a matter of character. I have one old Stetson - got it a shade over 20 years ago when the factory was in St. Joe - that definitely qualifies.

Get the felt at a store that actually takes care of the local working cowboys so whatever you're getting will be re-creased to the local "style" for the brim and peak. Then you won't have the "you can always tell a tourist" thing.

Of course, after it's nicely stained and battered, it doesn't make much difference. <grin>

m

Yeah, the straw hats are cheap so I can modify them, and throw them in the trash when they finally fall apart.

I've been called many things in my life - tourist not being one of them.

[bored]

Thanks for the advice!

Archived