Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Set Aside for Slide

Andre S

Slide is awesome, and if I continue to play then I will want to get a guitar setup for slide especially, I have a couple questions.

I decided I like the 12" radius of the Gibson fretboard, so whatever guitar I get will have that radius.

Which scale length is better to have, 24 3/4 or 25.5? Or something inbetween like 25"?

If I choose 24 3/4 but I find that the alternate tunings make the strings too loose, will using strings heavier than 10's help to maintain the tension as though it were in standard tuning?

I heard that using heavy gauge strings too is usually better?

I am still learning on my regular electric, but since I only have one I like the idea of having one set aside with a slightly higher action etc etc to keep in alt. tunings; I read people saying that you can play slide in Standard tuning, but after experimenting with Open E, Open G and Standard and one or two others, I really like Open E, IMO it sounds more bluesy and soulful especially with some reverb.

I hope to buy a Coronet to have set up for slide, right now I just have my Contemporary Strat set up for slide. I like to use either Open A (because the bottom two strings stay E and A so I can play bass lines then jump up to some cool slide solo-y stuff, or Open E (because it just sounds so badass).

Slide is fun, I have hardly any talent with it, I just goof around. (took my slide licks from Jack White)

Link

The first song is me messing around on slide, it sucks recorded it at like 2:30am one day on my Fender Mini Tone Master.

I hope to buy a Coronet to have set up for slide' date=' right now I just have my Contemporary Strat set up for slide. I like to use either Open A (because the bottom two strings stay E and A so I can play bass lines then jump up to some cool slide solo-y stuff, or Open E (because it just sounds so badass).

Slide is fun, I have hardly any talent with it, I just goof around. (took my slide licks from Jack White)

Link

The first song is me messing around on slide, it sucks recorded it at like 2:30am one day on my Fender Mini Tone Master.

I really like this one.

Too bad its a custom shop one off....I was thinking of getting a melody maker and redoing it.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167138

Or attempting to build it/?

Its cool, but I'm more into the single note bluesy style slide....who knows where it'll end up though

I really like this one.

Too bad its a custom shop one off....I was thinking of getting a melody maker and redoing it.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167138

Or attempting to build it/?

Its cool' date=' but I'm more into the single note bluesy style slide....who knows where it'll end up though[/quote']

Yeah, I don't know what I want either though, not sure of the style, a friend wanted a quick demo for something, put that together.

I am thinking of getting a really cheap Epi Semi Hollowbody and putting some nasty pickups in it, or the Epi Wilshire for 250 bucks...

Slide is cool, I do play some smoother stuff, but I have no recordings of that.

Props to you Fred. The first jam was pretty wicked. Your gettin the Jack White tone down

I have actually been listening to a lot more Black Keys stuff, trying to get that sound down... I'm now really gassing for a Danelectro, I got some nasty sounds of that with a brass slide and a cranked VOX AC4 [drool]

Archived