Gibson Brands Forums

Change pickups in Hollowbody

aznxtasy341

aznxtasy341

how to you desolder the leads on the pot when changing pickups in a hollowbody? as there is no control cavity in back

You have to fish the pots, jack and switch out through the f-hole. Not extremely difficult, but it takes a lot of patience. Here are some more specifics, this is for rewiring a hollowbody.

http://www.gibson.com/products/epiphone/forum/toast.asp?sub=show&action=posts&fid=2&tid=132960

I did a Dot and A Sheraton, they are a little different than the above example. It shows that you need to solder the pickups to the post before putting everything back. So I did that before I took everything apart and found out that I needed to pull out the pots, jack and switch, and then unsolder the pickups from the pots in order to get the pickups out.

I always recommend that if you have any doubts about the other electronics, change them all out while you're changing your pickups. It may save you revisiting this tedious process in the not too distant future. You can usually even make a cardboard template of the control cutouts and prewire it with new pots, caps and jack.

Archived