Gibson Brands Forums

DR-212 opinions

pohatu771

I've decided that after working as hard as I did on this record, and finally finishing it... almost (I may still record one more song tomorrow, but it's shipping out as soon as I finish), I deserve a little treat.

I've been looking at twelve-strings recently, and played a few at Guitar Center today.

One of my friends has an Epi acoustic, I don't remember what model, and I thought it played pretty well. Does anyone have the DR-212, and would like to share their opinions?

Or possibly any suggestions for another twelve-string under $200? I know the selection is thin, but I'm sure there's a nice one out there. I played a $700 Martin today, though, so my standards are pretty high.

Hi, I'm new to the forum.(Just joined) I read your question. I recently purchased a DR-212. Having been a musican playing and traveling over 30+ yrs. I stopped by a local guitar shop that just opened in my town. I have a martin 6 string, but I've had a hankerin' for a nice playing 12. After pickin' a few minutes on the 212, I felt it had a very nice crisp tone, good volume, and an exceptional feel. I am going to do a little tweaking on the neck, but I think for the money the DR-212 is hard to beat. Under $200, buy it, you wont be disapointed. I'm still looking for an FT-160 or 165 '71 or '72 mod. Now those are good 12 strings. But I understand, way more than $200. Good luck.

I found an online store that's still selling 212s for $150, instead of raising the price to $170 like Guitar Center/Musician's Friend/Music123 have, it's not free shipping, but they claim it's only $3.75.

Unless I find something better for a similar price, I think I'll buy it from them.

As long as I found someone who has one, how's the neck feel? The Fender I was playing was huge, but I imagine all twelve-strings are.

What do you use for a case?

Personally I think just about all the Ep's I've played have a smaller sized neck. The tweaking I refered to in my last comm. is I'm going to tighten the neck just a touch to lower the strings a hair. Not that it needs it, but I think I can make it a little better. When I purchased it I also bought a very nice Martin hardshell case that fits it perfectly. It sold for about $80. The 212 was a trade in that a guy got for christmas '07, but seen a six string he wanted more. The shop owner offered it to me for $90 and I snatched it up. I purchased it about 2 weeks after christmas. It was actually the first 212 I played. I was impressed from the start. Don't just take my word for it, go try one. Let me know.

• 2 years later...

~bump~

I just bought the DR-212 from Music123/Musician's Friend via Amazon.com for $169.99 (free shipping). Beautiful guitar with great sound and a good feel. Sadly, there was a hairline crack along the glue-line where the neck meets the body. A local guitar tech said to return it or get a credit, because it could get worse. M123/MF customer service was great, and took it back for a full refund and included return shipping. Because it was purchased through Amazon, an exchange can't be done, but I'll certainly buy it again. It's a lot of guitar for the price. I've read that it is as close to a Martin as you can get, which says a lot considering the spectrum of guitars/prices in between.

Curious what others think of this model..

You can find them on e-bay for under $200.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Epiphone-Guitar-/140475015880?pt=Guitar&hash=item20b4f6a2c8#ht_500wt_931

http://cgi.ebay.com/06-EPIPHONE-12-STRING-DREADNOUGHT-ACOUSTIC-GUITAR-W-BAG-/170557833670?pt=Guitar&hash=item27b60a01c6#ht_6192wt_916

But I also suggest looking used.

I missed out on an Epi PR-350-12 at Guitar Center for $99.

Played great. Late 90s made in Korea. Solid Cedar top.

Not to repeat my other thread, but last Saturday, I bought a used Epiphone AJ-18S-12 NA(Natural) made in Korea with a solid Cedar top for $140.

Great binding, frets, inlays, nice neck width. Great sustain.

Played it last night with the guitar group that I joined. Great sounds all night.

Stayed in tune all night. Others thought I played extremely well for a low end guitar.

Can't beat that.

1757031c.jpg

34b78abe.jpg

4084e923.jpg

These are great players.

Keep looking. They seem to be popping up in the last few months.

I was looking at buying a Breadlove for a lot more money, and this Epiphone has put that on hold.

I am thinking of getting a new nut cut for it and having the my luthier check it out. Maybe a new bridge saddle.

Mark

Archived