Gibson Brands Forums

New Melody Makers

Zaphod B

I bought a new dual-pickup Melody Maker a few months back. I'm still really enjoying it - it's a real kick in the ***.

It's very playable, very light, and it sounds absolutely unique among my other guitars.

OK, so the finish isn't a high point. BFD! [-X Everybody should own at least one.

Zaphod, I couldn't agree more. I kind of like the low end finish but if I had to buy one again I'd get the solid white one strip it down and do some custom (but tasteful) art work on it. Put it back together and keep it forever. It's just too inexpensive and it sounds too good to get rid of.

-Mike

Hey, Mike - I'm really digging the single-coil sound with a set neck and mahogany body. The neck pickup sounds nice and dark but not mushy, and in the middle position the guitar sounds like a really pissed-off Telecaster. The bridge pickup is good and bright, but not so bright as, say a Strat or Tele sound. It's actually usable.

How 'bout you - what are your impressions?

I've been running it through a Zoom G1X so it depends on what sound I'm trying to get but it seems I'm most partial to the bridge pickup. It's nice and hot but when running it straight through I'd say my impressions match up exactly to your assessment. It's just a great feeling guitar and like you.....I'd love to have a full stable of them (ha ha).

This is my second electric (always played acoustic for the most part). I used to have an ESP EC-300 in black cherry. nice looking guitar. Light and finished well but, it just didn't hold on to my attention. I've had this Gib for about three weeks to a month now and I've played it more than I did the ESP over the year and a half I owned it.

I'm still just really learning how the electric voice is used in such a different way than the acoustic. I pick it up EVERY NIGHT for at least a half hour or until I drive my family nuts. It's just too much for for the cost. I even got mine on sale so it was as cheap as the single pickup model. I almost bought a MiniMay but when I spotted the short scale MM on sale, I just couldn't pass it up.

-Mike

Glad you're enjoying it, and driving your family nuts. That's half the fun, right there. I love it when I crank up my amp a little and hear doors slamming shut all over the house.

I have several other guitars to stack this MM up againsts - most of them a hell of a lot more expensive - and it holds its own for playability and sound against all of them.

I have a theory. I think that the Gibson factory always has new people coming in as assemblers, painters, preppers, binding scrapers, whatever - and the Melody Maker is the "starter" guitar.

The shipping box was so period-perfect and cool-looking that I kept it. =D>

Ha ha. I kept the box too. I normally keep them just in case I lose interest and have to ship it but I highly doubt that's going to happen to the MM. I'm a big fan of the Firebird shape. If I continue down the electric road I can see one as a stablemate to the MM for certain.

Takes to long for the doors to slam at my house. I think I need a bigger amp. =D>

-Mike

I'm a big fan of the Firebird shape. If I continue down the electric road I can see one as a stablemate to the MM for certain.

Those are enormous guitars. I'm a pretty small guy, and I would probably look like a six-year-old boy if I strapped on a Firebird.

I'm about 6'-1" so I don't think the size would bug me too much and the scale and nut width are the same so the setup is what I like. I'm partial to the V and not the VII though. Plus they only make the VII in cherry and I like the sunburst on the V much better.

Yesterday I was speaking to one of our Exec's and found out that he lives next door to the Gibson CEO in Nashville. NICE! He told me that they have an annual Gibson yard sale and there are deals to be found on equipment that has been returned for one reason or another. I wonder just how good those deals are?? Hmmm.....

this is somewhat unrelated but how tall are you zaphod? i'm about 5'7" give or take a little and i'm always a little concious that i'm shorter than a lot of people (i'm just hoping i'm going to get that last minute growth spurt) but oh well cobain, vedder, flea, shifflet, young... are my height or shorter.

btw I've never been able to try a mm but i've always thought they were cool. i really like p90s. they're the single coil with a kick!

Yea, YARD SALE. I did some searching and evidently they have two per year. One in the Spring and one in the fall. Not only do they off load scratch and dent and returned stuff but they sometimes sell prototypes that don't make it to production and word is many of them are up to 75% off. I'm starting to get REALLY interested. I think I might try and put together $500 or so and make a road trip for the one in the spring. Problem is, I've currently got 5 guitars. One isn't worth anything, one I can't sell and the other three I don't want to part with. Oh, and if i buy another guitar without selling one, I may have to buy a divorce lawyer with it. Hmmm...decisions decisions......

this is somewhat unrelated but how tall are you zaphod? i'm about 5'7" give or take a little and i'm always a little concious that i'm shorter than a lot of people (i'm just hoping i'm going to get that last minute growth spurt) but oh well cobain' date=' vedder, flea, shifflet, young... are my height or shorter.

btw I've never been able to try a mm but i've always thought they were cool. i really like p90s. they're the single coil with a kick![/quote']

harmonicchaos, I'm a tick over 5'7" and only weigh in at ~125 pounds. (I'm a runner, that's why my weight is so low.) So it doesn't take much of a guitar to look big on me. My long-departed ES-335 looked pretty big. :-({|=

Yeah, those P-90s are great - too bad they're not using those in the new models. The single-coils that Gibson is putting on the current MMs are really hot, and sound very aggressive - it's a unique sound, for sure.

Yea' date=' YARD SALE. I did some searching and evidently they have two per year. One in the Spring and one in the fall. Not only do they off load scratch and dent and returned stuff but they sometimes sell prototypes that don't make it to production and word is many of them are up to 75% off. [/quote']

That is very cool. How much public advance notice is there, I wonder?

Good question. I've just now heard of them so, I think it's a local thing. you can bet on one thing. If I hear about it, you'll know about it in this section of the forum. I'll put the word out to our Exec to find out the when and where if he can and I will certainly post what I find out.

-Mike

Good question. I've just now heard of them so' date=' I think it's a local thing. you can bet on one thing. If I hear about it, you'll know about it in this section of the forum. I'll put the word out to our Exec to find out the when and where if he can and I will certainly post what I find out.

-Mike[/quote']

Y'know, a guy could more than pay for a cheap round trip ticket to Nashville and back, if the right stuff were for sale..........hmmmmm.

I was flipping through the channels yesterday and stopped on "That Thing you Do" with Tom Hanks and Liv Tyler. We were just about to leave but before we did, I spotted the lead singer for the band (that the movie is about) playing a vintage sunburst single pickup Melody Maker. Too cool.

Archived