Gibson Brands Forums

Masterbuilt finishes

Jimbo79

Hi everyone,

I am really looking for a new guitar and while checking the Epi website I saw the EF-500RCCE. It has everything that I want in my next guitar, but I can't find any information as to whether the guitar has a lacquer finish or has a polyester finish.

I know that China is now the place where Epi is building guitars, but doess that mean that the finish is not quite as nice as the Korean models.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hi everyone' date='

I am really looking for a new guitar and while checking the Epi website I saw the EF-500RCCE. It has everything that I want in my next guitar, but I can't find any information as to whether the guitar has a lacquer finish or has a polyester finish.

I know that China is now the place where Epi is building guitars, but doess that mean that the finish is not quite as nice as the Korean models.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.[/quote']

Masterbilts have always been made in China. Both Chinese and Korean Epiphone acoustics have long had poly finishes. Laquer adds a lot of expense to the manufacturing process, so you will usually only find it on a more expensive guitar.

Masterbilt poly finishes are executed extremely well, and Masterbilts are (in general) very nice guitars and certainly better sounding and playing guitars from standard Epi acoustics. You may see Masterbilts with both satin or gloss tops, which may have lead you to believe there was a switch from laquer to poly at some point. Both satin and gloss finishes are poly.

Red 333

Archived