Gibson Brands Forums

'57 classic pickup

FrankS1281734010

GFs pickups are inexpensive,not cheap.The vintage 59s are sweet toned and great for blues to classic rock.I have a set in my Epiphone LP,and I've ordered a set thar's going in my G-400 on thurday or friday,as soon as brown brings themo:)

I have 2 gibson flying V's,one with Dirty Fingers,and one with the 500t 498 combo.The vintage '59s aren't as hot as either of these,but the quality of the tone is right there IMHO.

D-

to tell the honest to god truth, i side by sided 3 different Gibsons(les paul, 335, les paul VOS) fitted with 57 classic pickups with my '97 sherry at my local ma and pa guitar store, and i can hear almost no difference between the 57 classics and my "cheapo korean pickups" maybe my ears just suck.. or maybe I got golden pickups?.. maybe im an idiot, but i could'nt hear any major differences at all in tone. None for sure that justifies a purchase of 250 dollars for magnets. If anything i would suggest a pickup from Seymour Duncan. the 57's can get a little generic at times.. and if you want to create your own unique tone, you shouldnt be getting what everyone else is getting.

I have said it before, but it bears repeating as far as Sheratons (and presumably Dots too) go...

Although some people have said that the current Epi pickups are somehow better than they used to be because they are based more closely on specific Gibson models, I don't find this quite accurate. What I do think is that they are now more consistent than the earlier models, which were "whatever was lying around the factory" according to a common school of thought.

I think this characterization is somewhat misleading. I think the accurate statement is that the manufacturers probably had more or less free reign to experiment and wind the pups for the instruments they were making. Some turned out better than others. In my '97 Sherry, the stock pickups will forever remain.

The 2004 Dot I have has some really good sounding 57's in it. Measuring 8.26 Neck and 8.96 Bridge. Still a bit hot for true Classics, but if lowered a bit from the strings, very respectable.

Granted they are not as clear in tone as Gibson 57's but close enough to get buy without spending that 200.00 for pickups. True Classics should measure in the 7k range.

More can be done with your amp settings to improve on the tone. Also the temperature and humidity level have a effect on your guitar and amp tone also. I have played on cold dry days when nothing sounded good.

to tell the honest to god truth' date=' i side by sided 3 different Gibsons(les paul, 335, les paul VOS) fitted with 57 classic pickups with my '97 sherry at my local ma and pa guitar store, and i can hear almost no difference between the 57 classics and my "cheapo korean pickups" maybe my ears just suck.. or maybe I got golden pickups?.. maybe im an idiot, but i could'nt hear any major differences at all in tone. None for sure that justifies a purchase of 250 dollars for magnets. If anything i would suggest a pickup from Seymour Duncan. the 57's can get a little generic at times.. and if you want to create your own unique tone, you shouldnt be getting what everyone else is getting.[/quote']

Aren't Duncans what everyone is getting?

Honestly I agree, though, and pickup changes are bound to be subtle, generally.

However, there are some differences. I read that Gibson PU's aren't nearly as hot as Epiphone's. I have cermic PU's in my...

http://www.reverendguitars.com/reverend/guitars/set_neck_series/manta_ray_hb.html...

and I don't think it sounds as good even as my Epiphone, let alone a Gibson. I think a switch to alnico might be an improvement.

In the end all this stuff is just for us, as nobody in the crowd will ever notice.

Guest Silence Dogood

My new E/LP C+ has wonderfully "articulate" (hard to explain) sounding pickups that are perhaps some of the best I've had the pleasure to work with. No joke. They are very well made. The MF web site says...

Based on the original Les Paul design, the Epiphone Les Paul Custom Electric Guitar has 2 Alnico Classic humbuckers
They're not "hot", but they sure can bark when asked to! -sd

Cheap used parts are one of the things we are losing with the demise of Mom and Pop music stores. There was a time when my local music store had used speakers, pickups, tremelos, and other parts simply because musicians thought they needed the latest and greatest hardware installed by the dealer. You could pick through the stock stuff that was left over from the "I gotta have JBL's installed in my amp" and "These pickups need changing" crowd.

Before I bought Duncans, I stopped in my local downtown dealer and asked about used Gibson pickups. The answer was, "Yeah, we used to have shelves full of that kind of stuff before Jimmy (the luthier) retired. We just don't do extensive repairs now. We send it off and get it back in a week. I can get you Dimarzios, but we don't stock Gibson anymore. It takes about $250,000 to be a Gibson dealer these days."

It's a shame.

my Dot SE has the Alinco Classics in it,wax potted and enamel wire according to the sticker on them .i'm no expert on Gibson style pickups but they seem pretty good to me and keep up with the 2 Fender USA guitars I own in terms of sound quality ,though of course a much different sound of course .When I played a Gibson 335 alongside the dot in the store there did not seem much tone difference that immediately jumped out at me but I am no expert .I play a lot of Jazz ans some moderate overdrive blues so I dont play them to the limit anyway .I might do a pickup swap one day just because I like mucking about with guitars but its no needed.

Archived