Gibson Brands Forums

What finish really grows on you?

thunderstruck507

When I was younger, there was only one color I wanted on a guitar...... BLACK. I hated sunbursts (especially tobacco), hated natural, hated metallics, hated trans-anything... Didn't mind it on other people's guitars, but just BLACK for me, please....

Now, I hate solid paint jobs... I like pretty much anything as long as I can see the wood grain.. Lately, I'm particularly fond of blue-bursts and green-bursts on quit tops... Like Carvin-type finishes.. I like alternative bursts, like Amber and Honey... I am getting a little tired of seeing Cherry Sunbursts, but that doesn't mean I don't like them... I just go through phases... I like the Cherry SB on my Viola.. The only solid colors that I still like are the Midnight Wine of my favorite Fender Jazz bass and Lake Placid Blue... I've always had a thing for LPB, (even when I liked all black guitars) but I've never had a guitar in that color... I'm planning on building another guitar from parts and painting it LPB...

I generally on most guitar colors don't like gold either. My favorite guitar though has gold on it, and I like it a lot, but it has to be a certain color finish that matches the gold. I like chrome/nickel/silver on everything though. I'm more for using gold on wine red guitars and all black guitars. Not really sunburst guitars, but there are a few exceptions.

As a younger man, I loved the black finishes too, and thought some of the sunbursts looked bad. Now, it is all about the wood for me. Ash grain through a translucent colored filter is beautiful. I used to have a Translucent Blue Spector bass, which if you know what I mean, was kind of ahead of the curve there years ago. They were beautiful instruments, with the natural grain of the wood ... OOOH!

Walnut finish is also a great color. Looking at a strat or an LP in all glossy walnut is so tempting. It makes me want to possess it!

Lately I too really GAS over the Honey burst and Ice tea finishes. I am not crazy about Cherry or Cherry bursts.

I have one bass body I have had for years, never put a finish on it, and I am wondering if I even will at this point. I kind of like that bare, raw wood look with the grains all exposed. Maybe there is a bit of a voyeur in me, when it comes to wood!;)

I'm with you Lexrst, black was all I ever wanted in a guitar. Until I bought a cherry Riviera. Now, I prefer sunbursts,

SunburstwithRoses.jpg

but I have a soft spot for oddball guitars (which includes finishes in my book), too.

Oscar013.jpg

About 2 years ago, though, I saw an LP in amber burst quilt top. Now, I dream that Larry Carlton is playing MY ES-335amb! And he won't give it back.

;)

DSCN0118.jpg

I like a little bit of everything. First choice is natural. I don't know why, it's just the deal as far as I'am concerned. I like sunbursts, but it has to be done a certain way. For example, I really like the way they did my Guild. From the comments I get, a lot of people like it as well. To me, it looks like an old 1930's Epi. Finally, wine red. Really didn't like this one at first, especially with the gOld trim. Looked tooo rich to me. Until, that is, I saw it in person. Then, shaZAMm, it was one of my favorites fursur. So, go figure. Try out a few and toss a coin.

?;^)~

As a younger man' date=' I loved the black finishes too, and thought some of the sunbursts looked bad. Now, it is all about the wood for me. Ash grain through a translucent colored filter is beautiful. I used to have a Translucent Blue Spector bass, which if you know what I mean, was kind of ahead of the curve there years ago. They were beautiful instruments, with the natural grain of the wood ... OOOH!

Walnut finish is also a great color. Looking at a strat or an LP in all glossy walnut is so tempting. It makes me want to possess it!

Lately I too really GAS over the Honey burst and Ice tea finishes. I am not crazy about Cherry or Cherry bursts.

I have one bass body I have had for years, never put a finish on it, and I am wondering if I even will at this point. I kind of like that bare, raw wood look with the grains all exposed. Maybe there is a bit of a voyeur in me, when it comes to wood!;) [/quote']

I started to turn the corner toward natural finishes the first time I saw an ash Jazz bass with nothing but clear lacquer... No tint... I couldn't believe how beautiful it was! Before that, I thought natural finishes (even tinted ones) were too "plain"... I agree with you about the walnut, too... Walnut can have a natural iridescence to it with a clear-coat.

I have a couple of guitars that I hesitate to even call them finishes, because it is really just the natural color of the wood.

I have a couple basses with wenge necks. In my opinion, they are about the best wood for necks I have ever played, even though I still love a lacquered maple neck too. Wenge is ultra dark wood, and there is never much of a finish on it, perhaps because you can't? I don't know why, but the barely coated wenge is super; it is usually only on necks though.

Alternatively, my Smartwood LP is a dark tropical wood capped guitar with also next to nothing but a sealer on the wood. I love that too. It feels truly like REAL wood, like furniture. ;)

Archived