Gibson Brands Forums

Can you coil-tap a Riviera??

Seamless

Howdy folks--

My first post here, and I'm trying to find out if my Riviera (1995, full-size humbuckers) can be modded with coil-tapping. It's very hard, of course, to see what's going on inside this thing! I'm after a more versatile palette of tones, and trying to mod this guitar (which plays like a dream and sounds remarkably good) to get something more towards a rockabilly sound. Anyone know if the wiring allows for this? Your help is much appreciated.

Humbuckers able to be coil-tapped have an extra set of leads, coming from each coil. If you don't want to tap them, you connect them together. If you do want to tap them, you use the leads according to how you want to access each coil. It's tough to coil tap a hummer with only two leads, without doing some re-wiring. Personally, I wouldn't tackle it.

Do you know if the Riviera has only the two-lead setup? That's what I've been unable to see, actually.

If it's not 4-lead pickups, I agree with your assessment! If that's the case, I'll probably just replace one or both pickups with DeArmonds or p-90s.

I looked around at some different humbucker suppliers for you. Duncan offers a lot of models of humbuckers with wiring for each coil, to do what you want to do. On occassion, I've bought some Duncans on-line and on eBay, but only after going to their website (www.seymourduncan.com) to make sure the model I'm after does what I want it to do.

Archived