Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Jr. Truss Rod adjustment

jeffo46

If it is buzzing, raising the neck by shimming will make it worse. Try raising the strings up a bit, and if that works, maybe move up a gauge in strings. And as mentioned before, add a bit of relief to the neck.

Because you mention it is where the neck joins the body it really does sound like just a relief problem.

Thanks guys.It's all set now.What I did was,take the shims out,and I loosened up the truss rod.It seems that the truss was way too tight,so I adjusted it,and was able to lower the action almost all the way down to the neck without any buzz.This guitar screams and stays in yune pretty well.

Also see this topic:

http://forums.epiphone.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=623

I only really did 12th fret- treble side - 3/64" (1.12mm) and 12th fret - bass side - 5/64" (1.98mm), used a couple picks (2 x .60mm, 2 x 1.0mm) to measure the action height out, and used a playing card at fret 7 with low E fretted at 1 and 17 to measure the relief. Measure from the top of the metal fret.

Of course, you're free to adjust your guitar to whatever feels good to you and plays well (i.e. no buzz, good intonation). That's the important part.

Archived