Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul standard quilt top questions

L_Mo

Howdy all. I recently got my first solid-body guitar - a used Epi LP standard quilt top. Cosmetically it was a little on the hideous side - lots of stickers, very high school punk band. Anyway, after several hours with some glue remover it actually polished up quite nicely. There are a few dents (especially those caused by the pick guard, which apparently broke off (there's a piece of it by the screw near the neck...), but overall I'm not disappointed for $180..

Anyway, I like the feel of it very much, it plays very nicely now that I've set it up properly. However, I've got a few initial questions I was hoping someone could help me with:

1) The quilt tops (this one included) have uncovered pickups - what gives with this? I've only switched over to electrics the past few years and I only have a rudimentary understanding of SC and HB pickups - what's the difference between the ones in the quilt top and the normal standard?

2) A related question: Is it worth it to upgrade the pickups? I know a set of seymour duncan pickups can run $150 for a set, which is almost what I paid for the guitar. I've looked into it a bit and there is a crazy number of choices. I play a variety of styles, jazz, blues, rock, metal... Is there a resource out there that can help choose pickups? I'm sure it's a matter of taste and budget if it's "worth" it, but I'm mostly interested to know if changing the pickups will elevate the guitar to a totally different level, or if they'll just make it sound a bit nicer, but I might not even notice.

3) Lastly, speaking of upgrading the pickups, are there any other upgrades that have a big effect on the sound of the instrument? Since I think I saved money for the guitar itself, I might be willing to get into it a bit further with some nice upgrades, but only if they'll have a noticeable effect.

I did a brief search of these topics and I couldn't find much help. I did notice the forums are new, so that could be why. Speaking of that, the forum search option groups by post, not by thread. That's really annoying, because if a thread has your search word in the subject, but it isn't relevant, you have to weed through all posts in that thread to find what you want....

Try a few different amps or settings before you commit to new pups. If you still wanna cange 'em out, yeah, there's a million & one choices out there...some affordable, some extortionate.

No earth shaking difference between the pups in your "Classic" and a "Standard." Just no covers on 'em. Otherwise, same pup. Some claim to hear an "airiness" without the cover. I took the cover off my bridge pup just for appearance sake and don't hear anything that would convince me to keep/change it based on it being uncovered.

Generally, your pups, your amp and your playing technique will affect your tone way more than new "greeblies."

Archived