Gibson Brands Forums

Cheap knockoff Epi...

Tynee

And when I say "Epi," That's what I mean, not Epiphone, but Epi.

My buddy loaned me his guitar to get me through until my bonus check comes in, and I can buy my starter guitar. He was interested in learning the guitar for about 15 minutes a couple of years ago, so his wife ran down to the local music store, and bought him a second-hand starter guitar. Anybody know anything about this beast:

47b8dc04b3127cceb5d62054ffa900000026100EbuWLNm1aMf

47b8dc04b3127cceb5d620797eb400000026100EbuWLNm1aMf

47b8dc04b3127cceb5d6207f7eb200000026100EbuWLNm1aMf

Here are a couple of shots of the crack at the base of the headstock:

47b8dc04b3127cceb5d622a5ff5900000026100EbuWLNm1aMf

47b8dc04b3127cceb5d626f7ff0900000026100EbuWLNm1aMf

And when I say "Epi' date='" That's what I mean, not Epiphone, but Epi.

My buddy loaned me his guitar to get me through until my bonus check comes in, and I can buy my starter guitar. He was interested in learning the guitar for about 15 minutes a couple of years ago, so his wife ran down to the local music store, and bought him a second-hand starter guitar. Anybody know anything about this beast:

[img']http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b8dc04b3127cceb5d62054ffa900000026100EbuWLNm1aMf[/img]

47b8dc04b3127cceb5d620797eb400000026100EbuWLNm1aMf

47b8dc04b3127cceb5d6207f7eb200000026100EbuWLNm1aMf

Here are a couple of shots of the crack at the base of the headstock:

47b8dc04b3127cceb5d622a5ff5900000026100EbuWLNm1aMf

47b8dc04b3127cceb5d626f7ff0900000026100EbuWLNm1aMf

The "Epi" brand was used on a low end line of Taiwanese and Indonesian -made instruments sold in catalog stores like "Service Merchandise" and "Century Show Rooms" and even through J.C. Penny and Montgomery Ward catalogs in the early-mid 80's. They were a very low end/entry level instrument but their price reflected that and they weren't marketed in any way to suggest otherwise. I'm certain they were viable instruments to some extent. They were a product of Norlin so they were entitled to use the "Epi" name. As far as any value, I'd say we're talking high two figures here on the best of days.

...and Al's your uncle.

Wow, high two figures, I suspected that if he could get 25 bucks out of it, especially with a cracked headstock, he'd be doing GREAT.

Anybody know if anything Can/should be done about the crack? Is it a $X00 repair, or a $X0 repair?

Tynee, have you strung it up to see if the crack widens? If not, IMHO that's perhaps a good idea--put some medium gauge strings on it, tension it up to get the crack to spread, and while it's spread inject some cyanoacrylate (super-glue) into the crack, then let the tension off so the crack closes up again. If you have a small C-clamp, put some wood blocks between the pads and the neck and clamp it to get an even tighter connection. It might just do the job till you get that new guit you're waiting for! Just be careful as you're applying tension--with wood, sometimes there's a fine line between just right and "craaaaaack"!

Good luck--the nice thing is, even if it doesn't work, you won't be out much, and if it does you'll have a functional guitar for very little--maybe your friend will let you keep it and you'll have a second guit? It's always nice to have a second axe around the house (or a third, or a fourth, or in my case a tenth........)--comes in handy when musical friends visit and a jam session sounds like a great idea!

Dugly

=D>

Yeah, I made my first stab at stringing it last night. I'm sure that the way I strung it was "unconventional" Since I just did it intuitively, but the strings held a tune. My goal for tonight is to find another set of strings, since I overtightened and broke one, (figure out the name of the strings, so I can tell you which one I broke, instead of say" I broke the smallest string"), put some superglue in there, release the tension on the strings that are on it, put the new string on. That should be enough for one night, since I work until 9.

I'll learn how to tune it tomorrow.

Thanks for the input on the superglue. That's a good idea.

I saw a guitar in a flea market in my town here about 3 weeks ago that looked EXACTLY like that one. Same shape and size. The exact same "EPI" on the headstock. No solid wood of course, just all laminate.

I took it down and played it a little bit. Completly functional. It sounded about like a $100 guitar should sound.

CTF

Well' date=' we'll have to get together sometime, and you can teach me how to play the guitar. See, that's my shameless plug for free lessons:-" [/quote']

If you and CTF do get to make the connection, make sure he shows you his AJ500RC--you'll have an incurable case of GAS, I predict!!

As for learning how to play the guit, it's just a matter of practice, more practice, and just when you think you'll puke if you practice any more, do it anyway!

Love y'all Kentuckians--I was born in Lousiville! It is a gorgeous state, that's for sure!

Dugly

Hi Tynee,

Really, you dont want my lessons...I'd just pass along all my unorthodox techniques and bad habits. =D>

Dugly,

Well, isnt this something. I was born and raised in Louisville. I love where I am now, and central Ky in general, and never want to leave, but I still love Louisville.

What part of Louisville did you live in when you lived there?

CTF

Archived