Gibson Brands Forums

why is a junior a jr? and what defines a special? and post your pics of each

evol04gt

I had my 1965 Epi Olympic in the shop for a new nut and I wanted a P-90 put in to make it sound like a LP jr. But the repair person wouldn`t do it because he said the guitar was too valuable to just chop in to.

...he was right.

Well' date=' Special IIs and -100s are just Epiphone models, they have no equivalent, per se, in the Gibson world... althogh Gibson made some really crappy SGs once such as the SG-200; these were somewhere between a Special and a Junior. The Epiphone LP-100 (and the G-310) are kind of like Special IIs but with the full complement of knobs... and maybe better construction i.e. solid wood bodies instead of plywood, but that has varied over the years.

Basically the Epi hierarchy is something like this for the Les Paul:

LP Black Beauty

LP Custom

LP Ultra

LP Prophecy models

LP Standard set neck

LP Standard bolt neck (no longer available)

LP Studio & Studio goth

LP Special (LE)

LP '57 Reissue (LE)

LP-100

LP Special II

LP Junior

...plus a whack of Signature models and miscellaneous discontinued flops.[/quote']

Just out of interest, why is the BB rated highest???? I have one, I think it rocks, but would not the pickups in the propheies make them slightly better?

Probably a silly question I could answer myself... but nice to have other's opinions [-(

Thankee. The SG Junior is one of the best playing Gibsons I've ever had the privilege of owning.

That guitar is totally going to be worth some major dough someday IMHO, just like the rest of the SG junior line over the years.

Archived