Gibson Brands Forums

New Strings For My G400, What's Best?

Fadedepi

I know that this is somewhat a personal choice issue, However, some suggestions would be appreicated. I want to put a new set on a recently purchased G400 faded SG. Right now it has the originals that came with the guitar. I have no idea what Epi's factory strings are, but I'm sure they could be better. Any thoughts?

As for me I prefer Jim Dunlop Zakk Wylde 0.60 strings. They are perfect for soloing and playing power riffs. I got g310 and use them about 3 monthes of hard playing but they are still like new. Great strings! If it's too heavy for you try dunlop Zakk Wylde 0.46. They are the same quality but three last strings are thinner.

PS If you wanna play in standard tuning with 0.60 strings you'll need to unbend your guitar neck.

My favorites are ernie ball. They seem to have the brightest tone the longest. I've tried DR, Dean Markley, SIT, Mojo, GHS, Gibson, and none were as good as the Ernies. I've never tried D'Adarrio (spelling?). All 10's.

Just go and buy a set and try a new brand every time you change until you find one you like.

Archived