Gibson Brands Forums

FT-45 Cortez questions

dave stott

Hi gang

I have a 1965 / 1966 FT-45 Cortez, which has more lacquer cracks that you can count...

It plays great and sounds good most of the time. The problem is that it goes dead in volume whenever the humidity is high.

The Cortez has the original adjustable bridge and has what appears to be a rosewood or mahogony saddle. My guess is that the wood saddle is part of the problem with the sound issues.

I am considering replacing the nut and saddle with tusq or bone & also installing better tuners while I am at it.

Because of the large amount of lacquer cracks, I am fairly sure that changing the nut and saddle are not going to reduce the "vintage value" of the guitar.

But I will save them in case future owners care to return it to it's original form.

The question is: Has anyone else replaced the wooden saddle on these??

Have you experienced enough of a change to warrant doing it?

Do you have any suggestions for replacement tuners??

Dave

Dave - I also have a Cortez and yes I've had to change a very few things. Although it's cost was about $110.00 originally, I thought it should sound as good as anything Martin could make. Never acheived that though. However, as with all guitars, it has it's own personality. I changed the bridge about 15 years ago and the luthier said that he hand crafted the one that's in the pictures. Don't know if that's true or not but I don't really care, being that it made a major difference to "dead" volume you've mentioned. (In another post I mentioned that he also installed a Fishman undersaddle pickup). I remember the old bridge did have have two screws for adjustment, but I don't think I ever tried any adjustment there. The only other thing I did was have the frets replaced with heavier wire. Great thin profile on the neck. As far as the "vintage value" is concerned, I read that they can go between $1200-$2000 but mine is staying in the stable. Great little guitar. I wouldn't do too much to it........J

EpiFT45Cortez001.jpg

EpiFT45Cortez002.jpg

EpiFT45Cortez008.jpg

CortezSN002.jpg

Hi and thanks for responding

I am not expecting this guitar to sound like a great Martin, but I am hoping to improve the sound slightly..

If it weren't riddled with lacquer cracks, I'd seriously consider leaving it as original.

Dave

I'll attach a photo of it, as soon as I can figure out how to post a photo of it in this new forum

Dave - your post prompted me to get mine out of the case and noodle a bit..I need to put some new strings on it but I did experience some dead response from the 5th and 6th strings. Interesting, I think its the nut but will have to do more testing when I have the time....... www.photobucket.com is a free site where you can upload pics from your computer, and be sure to "save" 'em. You have to have two pages open at the same time, Epiphone forum and photobucket. Click on the img at photobucket, go to edit, click copy then come back to your forum page and click edit, click paste into your forum message. Hopefully that'll work for you. I haven't seen another Cortez in a long time....J

I'll attach a photo of it, as soon as I can figure out how to post a photo of it in this new forum

Dave - Have you done anything yet with the bridge? You can get a free account at www.photobucket.com and upload a picture from your PC, save it, and then copy the img and paste it here. Note: you have to have two windows open simultaneously to do this; at least I do.......J

I just dropped it off at my favorite luthier / repairman..... We spent a bit of time going over the guitar and decided it was high time for a re-fretting.

He is also going to either adjust the nut or replace it altogether, that will depend on the action after the re-fretting.

The saddle will remain original for now....

BTW... the cost for a re-fret job is $160.

Dave

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Greetings

I am the proud owner of a '65 Cortez that I got new for my birthday 43 years ago. About 20 years ago I had the rosewood saddle changed to a tusq type which required some bridge modification. This change put this guitar into another level with improved clarity, sustain, and overtones. It's no surprise you rarely see wooden saddles anymore.

I am looking for a hard shell case for it. I have the original chip board case but it is falling apart and never did provide much protection. Does anyone know of a case that make a good fit for the Cortez?

Griff O

I'd start at MusiciansFriend.com.

Since the Cortez is a 'classic' like guitar, as opposed to Dreadnaught, I'd look at a classic hardshell case. Search their site for "Guitar Case". Click on the 'Classical' case and check dimensions against your Cortez.

Don't discount the dreadnaught case all together. If the Cortez has a wider upper bout, as it appears to, than most classicals, their classical case might not fit. Your Cortez might be a bit loose and rattle around in a dreadnaught case but that can be remedied by a couple pairs of rolled up socks or custom made 'pillows' to snug things up. I've even heard of people using those sausage shaped fabric tubes called 'draft dodgers', normally used to block drafts from coming underneath ill fitting house doors, to hug their loose guitars.

I've had my cortez back from the shop for almost a month now....

It got a complete re-fret job and the nut was replaced, along with a complete set-up. We went with a classic yellowish colored nut that the luthier had in his "spare parts" box. You can't tell it was changed.

Best $200 I ever spent....

My baby sings again!!!!

it sounds so much better than before it went into the shop..

there is no selling this sweetie....

Dave

If you are talking about weather checking - that is not going to devalue a guitar that much cuz it is common on both older acoustics and electrics. It is called Mojo. Refretting, new tuners (as long as you use the existing holes), new saddle and whatever, again are minor things.

If ya want a player, then make it the guitar what you want. I slapped some Grover 18:1 ratio tuners on my 1960 Gibson J-200. They fit perfectly and I could not be happier as I tend to put the guitar in several tunings during the course of the evening and do not want to have to carry three of four of the suckers around.

Good Luck and Enjoy.

Archived