Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Les Paul Std Tuners Replacement with GOTOH ?

Super_Coo

Hey guys,

I'm looking to swap out the tuners from my 96' Les Paul. They haven't

been holding up that great lately, especially the G string haha.

Anyways from what I've been able to research I think I'm going to go with

the Gotoh Vintage SD90's but was wondering if I should spend the extra

and go with the LOCKING type. I never heard of locking tuners before today.

Thanks!

The Vintage Gotohs are good tuners and they should be somewhat better than the Epi Keystones in your '96. Note that the earlier Samick made Epis came with Gotohs standard. Best part is that they should fit right in without any drilling required. Locking tuners are cool but I've never needed them. If your nut, bridge and stringing technique are on the ball you should not have any problems... it's very seldom that the tuners are the culprit.

don't know if you've seen this or not but the latest Stew-Mac catalog came in and they've just added the new line of Gotoh tuners that are available in so many finish configurations it's amazing. Two sizes, Four or Five metal finishes, and Four knob color choices. Not Vintage looking really but oughta be able to at least match anything one could dream up.

Wedgie

I'm with Rotcan.

By all means change to some nice tuners if you want...of whatever kind you fancy

But faulty or poor tuners are seldom the cause of tuning problems. Strings binding or sticking at the nut and/or bridge saddle are by far the most common tuning stability issues.

I'm with Rotcan.

By all means change to some nice tuners if you want...of whatever kind you fancy

But faulty or poor tuners are seldom the cause of tuning problems. Strings binding or sticking at the nut and/or bridge saddle are by far the most common tuning stability issues.

Yeah I think my nut is also worn and I already have a TUSQ replacement.

I just wanted to install both the nut and tuners at the same time.

Tell me.. the tuners that are on there... are they very green with "E" logos on them? Or are they more yellowish without the logos? You should pop one off and check the inside of the mounting plate. If it has 'JAPAN' stamped on it, they ARE Gotohs. Or else you can just count the number of turns it takes for the post to do one revolution; Gotohs are 15:1. I'm just asking because 1996 is around the time that they starting switching to the Korean tuners.

I took the Gotohs off my '94 Samick LP to make way for a set of Grovers; eventually they ended up on this guitar where they are doing a stand-up job:

headstock.jpg

...you can see here how the Gotohs are more yellowy compared to the Korean versions.

Archived