Gibson Brands Forums

Ok this is really odd sounding (craigslist)

CodeMonk

Yeah, its gone. I'm wondering now if it was a fake listing. Or if it was real and they didn't wanna be bothered anymore.

BTW...to those that missed it, this is what it said:

"this is my dead sons guitar and im selling this guitar to help pay for his funeral. because my husband and kids dont have enough money to pay for it. i thank whoever purchases this it will help us a great deal in our hard times."

Probably 50/50. As much chance of being fake as anything else. I once met a girl who was into that kind of scam. She was part of a group who had convinced themselves they were striking a blow for freedom against the capitalistic oppressor American government. Each of the members (I think she said there were 5 or 6 others) specialized in different kinds of scams, and pulled them occasionally themselves, but more often would set something up for another member. Apparently averaging 1 "slip and fall" a year, they settle out of court for 20-30K (7-11 settles some kind of claim practically daily), the group owns a large property and house outside Phoenix, I think. Between the small ripoffs and the big scams, she said they all averaged about 40K/year without working. Some of them even have free medical care as part of their settlements. This was in the middle 80's, so I don't know if its still that bad or not, but its bad enough that I know the insurance industry maintains a database of all medical claims from all companies to try and cut down on the losses.

Archived