Gibson Brands Forums

70's Crestwood??

JEPI

I ran the number on this and it came back made in Korea in '91. I emailed the seller and he sent a pic of the bolt on plate and it says made in Japan....Curious.........J

You can't date those '70s MIJ models' date=' it even says, "[i']Serial numbers from 70' and 80's era Epiphone guitars made in Japan are not supported[/i]" on the GDP site.

The GDP recognizes a numeric pattern, and it just so happens that the random number on that guitar matches the pattern used on a 91 MIK. I can make up a number 35011234 and plug it in to the GDP and it will come back:

Your guitar was made in

Korea

January c.1935

Production Number: 1234

Now if I punch in 35211234 you get:

Serial number unrecognized

The difference is only one digit, but it breaks the pattern. The third & fourth digits represent the month, so 01 is valid (January) but 21 is not.

Now obviously no Epiphone was made in Korea in 1935, but I used that as an example just to point out that GDP will give inaccurate info some of the time. And sometimes it's tricky, some MIJ Matsumokus use a pattern similar to the Korean models, so there could be some real confusion there. The GDP is a great tool, but it does have limitations, especially with the MIJs with random numbering.

Thanks Jerry - This has been holding at $157.50 on ebay for two days with another day to go. I'm not interested in it but kinda wonder what it's value actually is. There's another '70's Crestwood Sunburst with a "Buy it Now" at $525.00...........J

Thanks Jerry - This has been holding at $157.50 on ebay for two days with another day to go. I'm not interested in it but kinda wonder what it's value actually is. There's another '70's Crestwood Sunburst with a "Buy it Now" at $525.00...........J

$525 is way too much IMO. I think $250 +/- is the general going price from what I've seen on the 'Bay.

i think its pretty nice.... people pay a lot of money for something they cannot find... 400 for a rear guitar that most likely plays and sounds great, isnt too bad IMO. granted, its a bolt on so it looses sexy points... i could see myself spending 400 on that if it were left handed.......is it worth it? prob not, but people are buying realyl nasty 79s "lawsuit" style small crap guitars for 200 all over the place....

Archived