Gibson Brands Forums

Showdown time...

TehLesPaulZorz

Should I get a 1966 G-400, or a Les Paul Standard? (Of course I'm talking about the Epis.) Either way I'll be getting an Ad30VT (Maybe XL) amp to go along with it. What do you guys think? Personally, I find myself cramped on a Les Paul, but I heard the sustain makes a huge difference. Finally, is there any difference between the 1966 G-400 and the G-400 Deluxe, other than the Trans Red top, and gold hardware? Like any playing differences? Because the Deluxe has like a $200 higher list price than the 1966?

I see the deluxe at 299.. on sale now.. gold hardware

the 66 at 399 at MF

deluxe has flame maple

66 has what appears to be the real gibson color..

standard lp at 420 to 450

pricewise that deluxe is pretty snappy.. gold, flametop, mahogany, set neck, full controls, nice inlays..

but there is supposed to be a difference in tone and sustain.. though I doubt the sustain varies much with todays gear.

I'm cheap. go for the deluxe!

*G*

There is a difference between ANY 2 guitars, but it is my belief that all G-400 bodies (unless specifically stated otherwise) are manufactured as close to exactly the same as possible for cost savings. The only differences between models of the same TYPE will be in the glitz and glitter, i.e., binding, top, finish, etc. But I think M123 has G-400's as low as $299...just checked, yes, 3 models at $299 and highest at $599 for the triple-pickup, maestro super-duper model. So, the Deluxe will be prettier. That's it. Any playing difference will be just between 2 guitars.

But, if you feel cramped on an LP, why would you even consider it?

Definitely depends on what you're looking for. You say you're cramped on an LP. Why is that? Because of the look, or the tone? If it's cause of looks, I'm sure if you bought an SG you'd get over it soon (or GAS for another LP later on and get one). If it's for tone, all I can say is try out as many of the guitars that you can in person, and pick the best one that tickles your fancy. Whichever way you go, you can't really go wrong with an SG or an LP. ](*,)

Archived