Gibson Brands Forums

New Junior has arrived !!!

daneman

I though it was a P-90 too...until I saw there weren't any pole pieces' date='so I popped it out to check.[/quote']

Dane, congrats! Cool guitar. Got pix of that P90 frankenpup? I'd really like to know how you can fit a humbucker in a P90 housing...unless it's a minibucker?

I'll see if I can take a pic or 2 of it this evening sometime Ricochet.

Oh and thanks guys!!!

Been playin' a bit off n on,missed 2 tv shows that were on,sitting in front of the tv with it on.

Junior soundtrack makes it too hard to read the captions,instead the guitar says the lines....uh now where's my Meds..

LOL

Did they discontinue the single cut/bolt neck Jrs ?

They weren't on Epiphone's home page gallery when I looked last.

fsjupu8.jpg

I must apologize for my camera,or my lack of skill with it,whichever is to blame.

This is how the world looks without glasses...sort of.

You may notice there are no pole pieces.I did wt heck...So I had To open it up.

I couldn't quite believe my eyes!!!There was a humbucker in my P-90!!!(makes me hungry for a Reese'e PB cups)

fsjpu9.jpg

Ricochet asked how you fit a Humbucker into a P-90 case. Well I measured a full size humbucker(uncovered model

GFS Vintage 59 ),just a tad over 1 3/8"

Then I measured both my P-90's. 1 1/2"(outside)

So you could shave the tops of the bobbin a bit,or just find one a bit thinner than the norm,although a full size would just about fit.

The cover pretty much hides the holes from the mounting ring.

fsjupu12.jpg

Whoever did this JB welded or by a similar process permanantly attatched the pickup mounting tabs to the P-90 case .

So basically its mounted to the body by the case.

This might be fun to try if you wanted a vintage looker, with humbucker possibilities.

This might very well be the stock "whatever" humbucker,but with the strings 1/4" away from it it has a vintage sound,

and with my amp cranked it snarls pretty well,not quite a p-90, but no hum or feedback at max distortion either.

Thanks for the pix Dane... please tell me the pix are blurry an I'm not drunk again LOL...

Wow, amazing job from the previous owner. Too bad he couldn't preserve the polepieces. Any way to tell the make of the humbucker? You may have given me another idea of what to do with a couple of humbuckers and some empty p90 covers...

Uh , no the pics aren't blurry,you must be getting some of Jimi's secondhand smoke...

No idea who made it,Ric. No identifiers anywhere I can see.Without breaking the JB weld or handi putty or whatever I can't see the top either. Looks pretty cheap though. Just your basic uncovered pickup.

And yeah, I was thinking the same,if the cover pretty well hides the mounting holes, I could make something look really vintage..I suppose it would depend on the size of the mounting rings too.

I suppose you could find some kind of plug to fill the holes -- hah, don't know if somebody makes headless aluminum screws, but if the hardware store had something with a fine thread that could be screwed into the holes! TV Jones advertises that you can get the Magna'tron in any shell choice of humbucker, P-90, Dynasonic, flush mount or Gretsch cases. This sounds like a much less expensive road.

Yeah ,but you wanna make sure its gonna cover pretty well,if the cover just had a 1/16 lip top and bottom it'd work for about anything, Hmm this could be a product idea, for the right person or company, just make it so you can lock in your choice of humbucker...

I suppose you could find some kind of plug to fill the holes -- hah' date=' don't know if somebody makes headless aluminum screws, but if the hardware store had something with a fine thread that could be screwed into the holes! TV Jones advertises that you can get the Magna'tron in any shell choice of humbucker, P-90, Dynasonic, flush mount or Gretsch cases. This sounds like a much less expensive road. [/quote']

Headless screws? Don't you mean threadless heads?

Curtis Novak fits all kinds of PUs in/under a different cover.

A Novak Minitron in P90 form.

tron-mini.jpg

A Novak humbucker fitted P90 with Faux Poles

1.jpg

Headless screws? Don't you mean threadless heads?

Nah, I figure if there is a portion at the top larger than the threaded portion, it has a head. No top, headless; and, since its still a screw, headless screw. Adjustable pole pieces would be headless screws by the way my head works, and if you could find some in the exact size of those holes, they would be about the best imitation mimic pole pieces a person could find. I'm sure the plastic is soft enough to thread if you use the screw gently.

Archived