Gibson Brands Forums

My modified Epiphone Emperor

Dan

:-({|= Wow Dan, nice mods. I subscribe to Just Jazz Guitar Mag. One of the issues showed how to install the C.C. pup into a Samick LaSalle. They may have this article on their website. Not sure. How do you like the sound? :D

L-4...

I like it so far...and will probably like it more when I get it finally zeroed in on all the adjustments.

Experimenting as I go :-)

The bottom strings are the BEST clearest sounds I've heard coming from ANY pup....not too bright though...and the top strings have a lot of bass (but are not too muddy).

I dont play jazz, but I bet a jazz player would love the results...

I listened to an old recording of Charlie C. playing with the Big Band guys...and this modded guitar sounds a lot like the sounds I heard on that recording (coming from CC playing the ES 150 with the CC pup, I'm assuming). Course my playing sounds nothing like ole Charlie's....

This CC pup checked out below 4.0 ohms on the meter...but its still louder than the Seymour Duncan P90 at the bridge! (the P90 checked out slightly under 9.0 ohms.

I believe the original CC pickups were situated below the normal height of pickups these days and that probably has a lot to do with its unique sound too. I've got this one set as high I as I can get it...and the top blade is about a 1/4" below normal (for exa) P90 heights to the strings.

I shortened the two front (bass & treble) screws (and cut the bridge spring in half) to raise the pup to its current height...I could shorten the front springs and go another 1/8" shorter on the screws and see how it sounds, an 1/8" closer to the strings.

As said, still experimenting...once would think as long as these CC pups have been around...there would be TONS of technical info on them...but I've found NONE :-)

So, I'm keeping track of the adjustments and set ups I complete so I'll have a record of what works and what doesnt!

Thanks

Dan

Archived