Gibson Brands Forums

EL-00 versus L-0O

sospel65

Hello everyone,

are you aware of a difference between the Epiphone EL-OO

http://www.music3000.fr/shop/guitares-electroacoustiques/epiphone-el-00-p-2117.html

and the Epihpone L-00

http://www.thomann.de/fr/epiphone_l00.htm

Before getting the EL, which I can try at my local store, I'd like to make sure the L-00, which I cannot try is not a better choice.

Thanks for your help

Hello sospel65,

The smaller, more rounded body that is shown on the L-00 page is no longer in production, and was called the EL-00 from as far as I could tell when I was researching the guitar. The L-00 designation was used for a while when Epiphone still made Elite series acoustics. They had the Elite L-00 and then a Jim Croce signature L-00. I would check to make sure the place carrying the named L-00 in fact has something different than the other store. It could be they are using an old photo, as Musician's Friend and others do here in the States when referring to the contemporary EL-00 as found on the Epiphone website.

I recognize your handle from YouTube...you had posted a comment on my video of the EL-00. I tried including a link in my reply, but YouTube doesn't allow it. I wanted you to hear a different recording of the guitar that will give you a better idea of how it sounds...the video was recorded on a Kodak camera with a pinhole mic which isn't the best for reproducing the true sound. Here's the link to an audio only recording...

Epiphone EL-00 Sample

I changed the saddle to a tighter fitting bone one after recording this (the only bone saddle I had in my parts box initially was a bit thin so it rolled toward the headstock a little and didn't make as good of contact as the current one does) and it improved the tone/volume yet again. Next I'm going to try some 80/20 strings on it...right now it has PhosBronze.

I look forward to hearing what you find on the availability of the 2 variants on the model.

Best of luck to you on your quest.

Hi again,

thanks very much for your quick response.

I think I'll try the EL-00 as soon as I get a chance to sneak out on my 3 children (who are the original reason why I'm getting a second guitar to prevent further abuse to my beloved Guild dreadnought) and take it from there. I might even be able to negotiate a gig bag....

Thanks again,

we'll probably meet again on a forum

Hello sospel65' date='

The smaller, more rounded body that is shown on the L-00 page is no longer in production, and was called the EL-00 from as far as I could tell when I was researching the guitar. The L-00 designation was used for a while when Epiphone still made Elite series acoustics. They had the Elite L-00 and then a Jim Croce signature L-00. I would check to make sure the place carrying the named L-00 in fact has something different than the other store. It could be they are using an old photo, as Musician's Friend and others do here in the States when referring to the contemporary EL-00 as found on the Epiphone website.

I recognize your handle from YouTube...you had posted a comment on my video of the EL-00. I tried including a link in my reply, but YouTube doesn't allow it. I wanted you to hear a different recording of the guitar that will give you a better idea of how it sounds...the video was recorded on a Kodak camera with a pinhole mic which isn't the best for reproducing the true sound. Here's the link to an audio only recording...

Epiphone EL-00 Sample

Thanks again for all the information. I forgot to tell you that the sound clip was excellent. I hope that with a bit of practice I'll be able to play the blues as well as you do.

See you,

M.

I changed the saddle to a tighter fitting bone one after recording this (the only bone saddle I had in my parts box initially was a bit thin so it rolled toward the headstock a little and didn't make as good of contact as the current one does) and it improved the tone/volume yet again. Next I'm going to try some 80/20 strings on it...right now it has PhosBronze.

I look forward to hearing what you find on the availability of the 2 variants on the model.

Best of luck to you on your quest.

Hi 6string,

I must say that I'm really intrigued by this guitar. First of all I love the looks. But I have to say that, if the audio sample is faithful, it sounds very good. A dry, yet colorful tone.

In a few weeks I'll bee in New York and if I don't manage to find a good used acoustic I think I will try one of these EL-00. I'd like to know: how is the workmanship on your guitar?

how is the workmanship on your guitar?

I bought mine as a blem from Musician's Friend, so some blemishes are to be expected. However, I would still label the workmanship as very good...not excellent, but very good.

There are no structural imperfections, and just a few visual imperfections that are well enough under the radar to not bother me. To be more specific, there are a couple spots on the sides where they meet the binding that the laminate veneer was not as wide as it should have been, and the sandwiched wood can be seen...at its worst I'm talking about 1/64 of an inch width...not something readily seen and certainly nothing to worry about. And you can't feel it, the finish covers it just as anywhere else.

Secondly it appears there were some tiny air bubbles or something right around the heel where it meets the body in a few spots...they're not visible as bubbles, but it's just a tad rough there.

Lastly, if you look at the heel from the back, it appears that it was sanded a little more on the right side at the base than on the left...just a hair less than symmetrical.

I'm sure it all sounds worse than if you're actually holding the guitar and looking at it. But I'm being nit picky.

With that said, if I wasn't paying the reduced price for a blemished model, I'd expect a higher level of workmanship. Like any product, you'll find examples that run both ends of the spectrum. I'm very happy with the one I got.

Thanks 6string' date=' you've been very precise and helpful. If I'm going to buy one I'll take a good look at it.

Ciao[/quote']

The EL-00 sounds surprising good for such an affordable guitar, especially when you consider its parlor size. It sounds very balanced, with a unique and focused voice. The string spacing and neck shape makes fingerpicking comfortable.

I got mine as a blem, too, and except for some scuffs on the back, I can't really find any fault with the build quality. As I noted in another post, I'd prefer that top bracing had fewer excess glue drips, though. However, it would be hard to find fault with the kerfing and bracing on the inside back and sides of the guitar I got.

I too replaced the saddle and the bridge pins. I didn't replace the nut. The new saddle seemed to improve clarity and sustain. I got pearl and ebony pins because I thought such a nice looking guitar desrved them. I've got guitars that cost ten times what I paid for the EL-00, and I haven't done that to them always: )

6string's excellent demos definitely show the potyential these little gems have. I hope you find one to your liking, Giovanni.

Red 333

Hey 6string:

What're the measurements of your EL-00? Overall length' date=' upper bout and lower bout, depth.

[/quote']

Overall Length: 40.75"

Upper Bout: 10.75"

Lower Bout: 15.5"

Depth: 3.875" at its deepest

Well, I received the EL-00 and, sadly, sent it back. The sound just wasn't there for me. Just thin and toyish.

There were also some other cosmetic things also that probably wouldn't have bothered me(it was a "refurb") if "the sound" was there:

-lots of scrapes and file marks in the neck binding and a couple of sharp frets

-small ding in headstock that was touched up

-sloppy glue around where the neck joins the body. Almost as if it had separated and was reglued

-1/4 inch chip in corner of the bridge that was repaired with either a different piece of wood or wood filler

Sorry to hear you got a dud Stone. I wasn't thrilled with the tone either until I swapped the nut/saddle/bridge pins, but if you're not happy with it cosmetically, there's certainly no reason to put any more cash into it.

Archived