Gibson Brands Forums

G-400 as a slide guitar

leicester35

Does anyone have any good tips for setting up an Epiphone G-400 as a slide guitar? Obviously I'm planning on raising the action, and I'll probably restring it with 11s. The guitar is a completely stock ebony G-400 manufactured in November 2006 (has standard Epi Alnico Vs). I use a regular chromed steel slide.

I don't know much about SGs really (I used to use an Epiphone Firebird for slide, but it got stolen when I moved house, and I bought this SG on a whim a few months ago). Any tips about how to get good slide tones out of it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum bro, I think you'll like it here, alot of great people with a ton of great information to share !

Gary Rossington of Lynyrd Skynyrd used and uses a Gibson SG for most of his slide work. He just puts a stick (literally) or a rod under the strings up by the nut and that's it. That way he's not making any permanent mods that can't be quickly undone.

If you are certain that you will never use this guitar for anything other than slide, you can also put a taller nut in it as some other guitarists do. I wouldn't suggest this if you would also be using the guitar for normal play as well.

As far as the tone goes, this will remain limited to the controls on the guitar and whatever amp you are using. you will get less buzzzing if you raise the strings at the nut end, whichever way you choose to do it.

Good luck and happy sliding !

SG's and G400's are fine for slide work. Your tone is going to be dependent on a lot of things- like your pickups, amp, picks sound different than bare fingertips, metal slides sound different than glass, you might have to raise your action a bit or maybe not. I play slide with a fairly low action.

Just get out there and give a shot, see what sounds YOU like. Oh- Rossington uses or used to use a drinking straw under the strings to help mute them a bit.

Archived