Gibson Brands Forums

Masterbilt DR-500 Problem

mikefarb

I bought a DR-500 Masterbilt from Guitar Center. After getting it home I noticed a pretty good bow in the top behind the saddle. I returned to Guitar Center and noticed the same bow on an AJ-500 and another Guitar Center I called has a DR-500 and he noticed the same bow. Is this normal, across the line or are these a bad batch? It appears to have gone down a little with humidification but is not flat. Is anyone else seeing this on their Masterbilts? I am unable to find a replacement that is flat.

Thanks

That's pretty normal. Our DR has it as well, though my AJ's are all pretty flat. As long as it's not bowing at the expense of it dropping underneath the strings it should be fine. We have had ours like that for about 8 months and it hasn't moved at all.

-m

I bought a DR-500 Masterbilt from Guitar Center. After getting it home I noticed a pretty good bow in the top behind the saddle. I returned to Guitar Center and noticed the same bow on an AJ-500 and another Guitar Center I called has a DR-500 and he noticed the same bow. Is this normal' date=' across the line or are these a bad batch? It appears to have gone down a little with humidification but is not flat. Is anyone else seeing this on their Masterbilts? I am unable to find a replacement that is flat.

Thanks

[/quote']

Yes the Masterbuilts seem to have this problem. I have both an AJ500M and a DR500M. My AJ has major issues and is still at a local store that is an Epipone dealer waiting to hear back. The top has bowed behind the bridge and there is a rattle in the guitar which the shop and I think a top brace has given loose you can see wrinkles in the top.

My DR I have owned longer and is still solid. Most acoustic guitars do lift some behind the bridge so that is normal it just depends on how much. A slight hump is normal. All my acoustics have the slight hump but my AJ you can see it and it is major.

So a slight hump is normal just keep an eye on it. If you have a chance go to a GC or Sam Ash and feel with your palm across the back behind the bridge and you will find most have the small hump. No problems with that. Have a tech look at it and they should be able to tell you if it is normal or an issue.

I bought a DR-500 Masterbilt from Guitar Center. After getting it home I noticed a pretty good bow in the top behind the saddle. I returned to Guitar Center and noticed the same bow on an AJ-500 and another Guitar Center I called has a DR-500 and he noticed the same bow. Is this normal' date=' across the line or are these a bad batch? It appears to have gone down a little with humidification but is not flat. Is anyone else seeing this on their Masterbilts? I am unable to find a replacement that is flat.

Thanks

[/quote']

It's normal... to a point. "Flat top boxes' are anything but dead nuts flat. Good to compare to others 'on the shelf'. If it's within 'tolerance' of the others on the shelf, then don't sweat it. Measure it to provide a bench mark. Then measure it every so often to see if there' s movement. Be aware that there is some movement due to seasonality, temperature and environmental humidity. Acoustic guitars are rudimentary, albeit difficult to read, hygrometers. What you want to watch for is upward movement that increases over time and that does not settle back down when the guitar's environment changes. Place a straight edge, long enough to span the whole lower bout, across the bridge. Measure down from the straight edge to the binding on both sides, then average them. Compare these measurements at future measurings. QED.

Also, use your hand mirror (you do have one don't you?) and flash light to make sure no braces are broken or loose.

Archived