Gibson Brands Forums

Messed up--a little

Two questions:

1. Took the circuit board out of my VJ combo (version 2). Before disconnecting the wires from the board, I took some photos of the board so I would know which wire goes were when it came time to putting it all back together (I thought I was being pretty clever). The problem, though, is that I didn't realize(until it was too late) there were multiple orange wires and some in close proximity to each other. I think I can figure it which one goes into which terminal...however, i would like to make 100 percent sure they go back to the right terminals on the board.

Any suggestions? {I am at work right now, but I believe there are two orange wires and a red wire that are grouped together and then another orange wire that attaches to a terminal a few inches away from the grouping)

2. What do they use to mount the circuits that are attached to the input jack and speaker jack. There is some kind of beige glue that attaches them to the side of the metal chasis.

1) http://www.sewatt.com/node/16287

2) Just scrap, pull, twist, jackhammer, sandblast, HE, or whatever it takes to get that goop off. The pcb-mount type of jacks and pots are simply soldered on to their respective boards as one would expect. The glue is just cheep factory insurance to keep things intact during rough handling during shipping, and it lets the authorized repair centers know if someone's been messing around in there. But if you're gonna do your own tweaks, then voiding warranties and getting service isn't an issue anyway. Besides, warranty periods are an unnecessary impediment to the pursuit of boutique quality tones! :D

Gil...

It's AC voltage, so there is no fixed polarity. It doesn't matter which orange wire goes to which orange wire terminal, or which red wire goes to which red wire terminal. The orange wires are simply the two ends of your 6.3v heater winding, and the red wires are the two ends of the 270v HT winding. At their respective rectifiers, they're "rectified" into pulsing DC voltage, and ready to be smoothed out into a steady DC voltage by the filter caps. It's only at that point that the details of polarity for diodes and electrolytic filter caps matters a lot.

Gil...

Archived