Gibson Brands Forums

1972 Les Paul Recording Model

Roadgod

I just picked up a 1972 Les Paul Recording and I'm fascinated with all the stuff you can do with this. I checked the pots and the dates pretty much tell me it's a 72 as they were made the 46th week of 71 by Chicago Telephone Supply. I was tempted to put in a dime in them to make a call to Les but I figured he'd be sleeping about now.

Does anyone know if any sort of paper work was ever issued with these? Or does any else have one or had one that could give me some tips?

I am extremely blessed and have known Les Paul's rhythm guitar player since I was little and plan on going to see him in a few weeks and hopefully get a nice lecture on it but I hope someone here can give me a head start.

Also, if admin is about, the serial number is 685967. Is there any way to find out when this was officially built or sent out?

Thanks!!!

Thanks!

I think I could help that guy with some technical info on the switches as I've taken the strings off and giving it a nice tune up. A few things were a little lose as far as the bridge and the tuners but I think that's expected after 37 years. Everything else is in pretty good condition.

Here are a few pictures....

recording5.jpg

recording.jpg

recording2.jpg

recording3.jpg

recording4.jpg

Apart from an owners manual and hang tags, there would be no paperwork with the guitar originally. Gibson's computer records only go back to about 1988, so they would not be able to tell you anything about the guitar.

Thanks!

I got a note today from Gibson and they said if the pots are original, and they are, then it's actually a 71. Must have been one of the last off the line that year then because according to the link provided above there were only 236 made that year.

I'll follow up after Les Paul takes a look at it and what information he has to pass along on it as I know he plays one.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Les Paul Recording Model, serial # 301112. The insides have been rewired. I found the schematics on the Gibson website but it does not match my model. My model looks identical to the 1972 model in this thread. It has a series of transformers inside. Most of the caps and resistors are missing. The Decade switch still has the caps on it and has not been modified (I think).

Does anyone know a way to get accurate schematics for this model? Or does anyone have pictures of the wiring inside so I can recreate the original wiring?

I have checked several websites and the pictures out there give me some info but none have the little tranformers.

Any info would be appreciated.

• 7 months later...

Hi,

I believe i got mine from Gibson Usa,I could backtrack over my emails to see if i retained the email,but i doubt it, as it was 2 years ago.

ASk Gibson they will have an archived set they can scan for you (if you get a friendly contact)

regards

shan

• 3 years later...

I was responding to the inquiry about the paperwork for the Recording. Back in early '73, I got a call from a buddy in Nairobi, where I was attending school, asking to borrow my amp ( they were rare at that time & place ) a Sears 100 watt Silvertone. When I arrived at his place, he showed me his new Les Paul Recording that he had ordered from the U.S. for his 16th birthday. I remember quite vividly picking up a booklet that came with it and opening it to the "Country & Western" chapter. There I found instructions on how to adjust the settings for that particular sound and there was over 76 different variations for the settings. The book wasn't much larger than a paperback but smaller than a catalogue. Just wanted to say that there was a definitive booklet sold with the Recording and I'd consider it a "must have", since the recording was designed as a studio guitar rather than a performance guitar and the booklet had alot of valuable info. It was a beautiful guitar but heavy as lead! I couldn't imagine using it for performing due to it's weight.

Archived